Chapter 77 - Ella's Party (Part 2)

Ben's POV:

Ella brought another chair and sat beside me. "You're right. This isn't the first time I've come across monsters. Ah I mean.. werewolves." I say correcting myself awkwardly after I saw Ella's face drop looking down at the table.

"It's okay Ben, it's a lot for anyone to take in." Alexa says giving me a kind smile.

"Are.. are you one of them too?" I ask suddenly realising she's dating Zander.

"I am, but I didn't know I was one when I met you. I'm a little different than the average werewolf, but that's a story for another day. I want to hear what happened to you. I know you're scared of someone and that you think you're being hunted." Alexa's words were like poison in my veins.

Ella's fingers intertwined in mine helping me more than I could explain or make sense of.

"One day I was out with my sister and father for dinner. My mother said she wasn't well that day and chose to stay home and sleep. What we didn't know is she actually used that time to go shopping for my sisters birthday present that was the following week.

Once we arrived back at home I had been the last out of the car as I had parked it. That's when I heard my sister scream. I ran towards the front door to see a man with claws and black eyes. He was on top of my sister biting and clawing at her. I took out a pocket knife I normally carry and stabbed him from the back but through his chest." I swallowed the lump in my throat before continuing.

"The knife was gifted to me by my grandfather. He always told me to keep this particular knife on me as it was special and would protect me from monsters. I had no idea how right he actually was until I heard the knife burn and sizzle against this monsters skin."

"What happened next?" Ella asked with concern in her voice.

"I stumbled away in shock and after a few seconds both he, and my sister were dead. She had died from the blood loss. I only noticed dads body after I walked inside. It was a clean slit to his throat so the mons.. werewolf.. had been home waiting for us. I froze in the doorway for what must have been an hour in shock."

Ella grabbed my hand. "I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine the strength you needed to come out the other side. What happened after that? How did you end up here?"

"If mum hadn't left that day she would have been dead also. When mum arrived I refused to let her in. She called the police while we waited in the car but when they came the monster looked human. There were no claws or black eyes so no one believed me. Well, there was this one guy who took me seriously. I think his name was Officer Ryan Arol.. something."

"Alexa's Dad?" Ella gasped in shock.

"Wait what?" I ask confused. Mike decided to talk this time.

"This is all starting to make sense. I remember you now. Alexa's father is the Alpha of another pack, one on the mainland. His pack is responsible for weaponry and defence. In exchange we offer him spaces on our land for people in witness protection. He must have a few inside men working for the police force for cases like this. He had called this favour personally asking me to allow two new people residence in town."

"Right! It makes sense. Someone would need to cover up the damage the rogues cause, and what better place to send someone who has seen wolves than to a pack. If you were to ever spill the secret, most likely you would tell another wolf without knowing and no damage would be done." Zander said thoughtfully.

"Except this wasn't a rogue attack. I had done some digging before allowing you entry, I obviously still have a pack to protect and needed to make sure I wasn't allowing anyone dangerous onto our lands. Ben's grandfather actually belonged to a pack far away but his mate was a human. He left his pack and became a rogue making his friend feel betrayed. He had promised to take revenge on him one day, and never stopped trying to track him down. When your grandfather passed he obviously then took revenge on the family he left behind."