三十五 - 35

I sat across from Kamisato Ayato in silence, scratching down a draft of the layout of the Kamisato Estate on a scroll of paper

 I sat across from Kamisato Ayato in silence, scratching down a draft of the layout of the Kamisato Estate on a scroll of paper. While I didn't have a photographic memory, I had walked down those familiar hallways and corridors that I knew like the back of my hand. Ayato had instructed me to stay and work in the makeshift office with him, claiming that there was a detective from the Tenryou Commission coming to assist us with their work. I wasn't going to complain about any extra hands, especially since this was going to be quite a hard case to crack due to most of the evidence being demolished. The only information we had to go by was that of the witnesses who managed to escape the building, and that couldn't even be confirmed.

"He will be bringing all of the testimonies from the witnesses of the fire," Ayato affirmed, "so that can get us a starting point."

Although his voice was still somber, he appeared to be putting his full effort into our current situation, which was admirable. Time flew by quickly as I continued to sketch out the diagram, thinking of all of the windows, exits, and possible entryways that existed. While all of this had been very sudden, my brain adjusted to things quite quickly, allowing my recollections of the past to be clear and vivid. 

"I do have one question though," he broke the silence after several minutes had gone by. "Can you tell me what happened on that night when the criminals entered your room?"

I nodded, recalling the horrifying experience word for word.

The glass of the window crashed open in the middle of my sentence, causing both me and Ayato to stare at the source of the sound in surprise.

A man in black practically vaulted through, landing in front of us with a wicked smirk on his face. He was wearing a hood that shrouded most of his features in darkness.

"Stay behind me," Ayato held his hands out to the side to shield me, "don't move."

"But-"

"Don't move!"

Ayato's voice was panicked and had a strong sense of urgency, causing me to let my hands fall down to my sides.

"What do you want with her?" he spat at the man in black.

"I want to sell her, of course. She's a pretty little thing and must be worth a solid buck on the market."

"Do you refuse to waiver?" Ayato's fingers wrapped around the hilt of his sword. "If so, I will have no choice but to strike you down."

"Why are you so invested in this little girl? She's pretty, but she's not all that! Look at how she's cowering behind you."

Cowering? I tried to stand up but Ayato shoved me back down.

"I am her bodyguard, it's my duty to protect her. If you are instigating a fight with her, you will have instigated a fight with me as well."