二十八 - 28

 I opened my eyes and found myself in a dark room. My body felt stiff, as if I had been sleeping for centuries. 

"Hello?" I called out, my voice croaky and hoarse after not being used for so long.

Am I alive? Or is this just another dream?

Questions flooded my head instantly, but relief overwhelmed them all. Thoma, Ayaka, Father... and Ayato.

I tried to sit up but my body felt so incredibly stiff that it was practically impossible. The door creaked open and a tall woman with long pink hair stepped in. The most peculiar thing about her was the two ears atop her head, which twitched when she saw me awake.

"Ahh, so you're awake now?" a smile crept onto her lips, somewhat similar to the one Ayato wore so often. "Good to hear."

"Who are you?" I managed to ask, ignoring how shitty my voice sounded at the moment.

"Hm, perhaps I shall tell you, and perhaps I shall not," she hummed, "no matter how much I deliberate, it doesn't matter too much, correct?"

I opened my mouth but promptly closed it again, knowing that trying to figure out a person whose goal was to never be figured out was a virtually impossible task. This woman radiated an aura of nonchalance and haughtiness, yet seemed very calm and collected. The art of figuring out an elusive personality was to refuse to figure it out- that was the only way you could gain a mutual understanding of them.

"That is true," I agreed to her statement, "well, I suppose it doesn't matter all too much. Am I alive?"

"No, you're in the depths of hell," she replied, "and you're about to be summoned to the devil's headquarters. Just kidding, of course. Do you think that I look like an angel fallen from heaven? Why, that is quite flattering."

"Where is Mr. Kamisato?" I asked, ignoring her aloof response.

"Ah, you mean Kamisato Ayato? I can summon him here, if you would like to see him. He's actually paying a visit to the shrine right now, so I suppose that won't be necessary."

Excitement bubbled in my chest. "He's here?!" 

"Lower your voice," the maiden placed a finger to her lips. "It's not good to get riled up after you've been in a coma for... hm..." She lifted her hand and put down all her fingers. "Ten years, I suppose."

"Ten-!" I started to cough. 

"You should've heeded my first warning," she hummed. "Look what you've done now. You probably can't stand, I take it? I'll bring him in here now, if that's what you wish for."

She swished away from the doorway without waiting for my response, leaving me alone once again.

When she returned Ayato was with her.