十八 - 18

Hello everyone! If you would like a super depressing reading experience (but also more immersive), I would recommend listening to the song above. Of course, this is not necessary.

 Here is the URL if it is not appearing above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0CqY27IFyo

 Ayaka was standing on the balcony at her room, staring off into the stars at night

 Ayaka was standing on the balcony at her room, staring off into the stars at night. She put her hands in a prayer and closed her eyes. Mother, if you're up there, I hope you are doing well. May the Archons grant you a pleasant eternal rest. Just as she finished, Ayaka heard a knock at her door. She recognized the familiar way the knock sounded and knew instantly that it was her brother. Taking a deep breath, Ayaka walked over to the door and creaked it open, greeting him with a weary smile.

"Brother, come in," she opened the door further and gestured for him to come inside.

"Thank you," Ayato stepped in and took off his jacket, hanging it on the hook at her door. "It's a beautiful night, isn't it?"

"Ah, yes!" Ayaka exclaimed. "The stars are so bright tonight, maybe I'll get a chance to speak with Mother."

Ayato's expression wavered for a split second before he smiled again. "Yes, I'm sure she will be glad to hear from you either way."

Ayaka walked back out to the balcony, lightly tugging on her brother's sleeve. "Let's look together. Maybe Father is there as well."

"I doubt we would remember him, even if we saw him," Ayato spoke with a nonchalant tone, "so I don't see the point in wishing for it. I hope that he is just resting in peace and not spending his days worrying over us."

Ayaka nodded. "I see. You always think so seriously about these things, Brother."

Ayato cleared his throat and spoke again. "Well, I've noticed you've been a bit off recently, so I wanted to check up on you."

"Check... up on me?" Ayaka tilted her head to the side. "Why would you do that?"

"Any older brother would get worried when seeing their little sister in a state of distress," he frowned, "do you really think that I wouldn't be concerned? I've heard you leaving the estate in the middle of the night."

Ayaka froze, gripping the railing so hard that her knuckles turned white. "I've been going for night strolls to water the plants."

"You were quite obviously lying then," Ayato stared up at the stars, "we've known each other for so long that it would be hard to hide it at this point."

She didn't respond, instead pushing herself up to sit on the railing.

"Woah!" Ayato grabbed her by the waist and pulled her back down. "I'm not mad! Please don't-"
"That's not what I was doing," Ayaka giggled, "it's easier to see the sky this way. You should try too."