十六 - 16

The doctor stopped in front of me and stared into my eyes

 The doctor stopped in front of me and stared into my eyes. "Are you sure that you're ready to hear the news?"

After a moment of hesitation, I nodded and swallowed, ignoring the pain that it caused.

"Well, it looks like they've given a high dosage of pentpobarbital mixed with a sort of adapted cyanide. It's not quite as strong as normal cyanide, or you would be long gone by now," the doctor was calm as a rock as she was speaking, "and assuming you have no idea what pentobarbital is, it's a drug that induces into a short coma, however it appears that they have put in the cyanide to slowly kill your nervous system while you are in that state. Of course once you lose your nervous system, you're beyond saving."

I absorbed the information without too much fear, I had known that the drug would have an affect extremely similar to the one she described, but what I really wanted to know was...

"My guess is that you will fall under the coma within three weeks, considering the symptoms you've already started displaying. It seems that your body has never confronted poison before, which isn't too much of a surprise. I'm guessing that the Fatui are always watching you, even now- as long as they were the ones who issued this drug to you. You're their test subject, persay."

"My daughter is not-"

I slapped my hand onto my father's mouth and shot him a glare. I nodded at the doctor.

"She understands," Thoma told her, "so you don't need to worry. Miss (Y/n) is quite intelligent, despite her initial look-"

"What about her initial look isn't intelligent?" my father argued, saying what I would've said if I could've spoke. Why, I would've given Thoma something to regret after he outwardly badmouthed me in front of this random doctor.

"I see," she chuckled, "well I'll leave you all be then. I've given you some painkillers on the desk over there, you may take one every five hours. You should be able to talk within the next couple days."

I nodded and then almost in sequence the door creaked open.

"Ayato, you're back!" Thoma exclaimed, staring at the man who had entered the room.

His eyes scanned around and landed on me, a relieved smile gracing his lips. "(Y/n), you're alright."

I nodded, feeling my heart pounding in my chest. Taking a deep breath, I desperately tried to calm my heartbeat.

"Miss (Y/n) can't speak right now," Thoma told Ayato about the current situation quickly, "but she will be able to in two or three days."

"Could I be alone with the doctor and my lady?" Ayato inquired, sending an inexpressive stare at my father and Thoma.

Father blinked and then nodded a bit reluctantly, stepping outside of the room along with Thoma. The room grew quiet and cold, the silence starting to press down onto me.