十 - 10

"Where were you?!" Ayato's voice was loud and panicked as he raced over to my side, holding my shoulders in his hands

"Where were you?!" Ayato's voice was loud and panicked as he raced over to my side, holding my shoulders in his hands. "We were looking all over for you- I thought that you were in danger-"

"It's going to be okay."

"You're lying," he hissed, "you did something, didn't you? You put yourself in danger for some selfish and redundant reason!"

His words were seething and cold, but somehow they didn't hurt half as bad as I thought they would. Maybe it was because of the way he was staring at me with such pain and hurt on his face, tinted with relief and regret.

"Where were you?" he asked again. "Don't even try to make an excuse, don't even bother!"
I reached out to pat his head but he swatted my hand away.

"No doing that to distract me- tell me right now!" he was practically screaming, pure terror in his eyes.

"It's okay, you don't have to worry," I spoke softly to try to calm him down.

"Why won't you tell me anything? Do you trust me that little?" Ayato's voice cracked. "Tell me what happened. Now. Don't dodge the question, tell me what you did."

I saw his shoulders violently trembling, yet I couldn't reach out to touch him. There wasn't anything that could hide the decision I had made.

I couldn't tell him. I was imagining the look on his face when he found out what I had done. I started shaking despite myself.

He took a step back from me. "You... you didn't overhear us earlier, did you?"

"I'm sorry," my voice cracked when I spoke.

Maybe it was that I was scared to die- that was why I was afraid to tell him. I

"You have lots to live for," I continued, "and I don't."

"Why would you say that?" Ayato continued to yell. "I would rather you live than me- I'm not a good person, I've killed so many people, you on the other hand-"

This was the best choice to make, and I knew it. No matter what he said, there was no turning back for me.

"It can be reversed, can't it?!" Ayato clutched my shoulders and shook me, treating me far more violently than he ever had thus far.

"No."

He began to tremble, his breathing becoming rough or uneven.

"You told me you would stay by my side, so why?"

Ayato's arms fell from where they had previously been holding my shoulders.

"Why are you leaving me?"

Gorou was standing stiffly beside us, his eyes as wide as moons. "M-miss Shimoda wasn't feeling very well so you should return to the house."

"No, we'll be heading back to the Kamisato Estate now," Ayato's voice was strained, "I need to discuss this matter with my sister."