Chapter 15

Beta Maximus Booker

What's up with him? It's like after he met his mate, he has become this different person.

An image of the way he looked after he was rejected flashed before my eyes. Even his voice had gotten more deeper, feral. Was his wolf taking over? No. It's something more. It's like he has morphed into something more dangerous than his wolf.

I was in the gym, training with a punishing bag. I needed something to work off this frustration. I mean-I can't believe Ashton. It's like he's becoming obsessive over Lady. I thought that once a mate rejected the other, the one rejected would simply move on. I suppose him being an alpha have a factor with being rejected. Ashton  is a hole, so this shouldn't be turning him....crazy. so why is he changing so fast?

Now that I'm thinking about it. Ashton would have never gotten into my face like that unless I got him in trouble with his mother. Something is up with him.

He's sneaking around. What is he thinking?

"Hey, Max, can you do us a favor?" asked Josh, one of the newer fighters I recruited.

Turning to him, I see he is with another fighter. They most likely wanted me to be their referrer for a sparing match. "What is it?"

"Judge our match?"

"Sure. You two better be good." I was thrilled to see the pair go at it. It's always a delight to see everyone coming together to help and teach each other, not that Ashton knew anything about his pack because he was too busy screwing or doing his own thing.  My thoughts floated back to the other day.

Watching the others training. I walked over to a vacant punching bag, and rised his fists when I saw her.

Kim, in lagrie, was just about to walk into Ashton's house. I ran out, grabbing her upper arm before she could disappear into the house. The look on her face was one of annoyance.

"I won't let you ignore me," I told her, hoping she would take back her words of not wanting me as a mate.

Those beautiful, Brown eyes of hers, looked at me in anger."If I don't show my face in a minute. He will look for me, and it won't be a good thing, Max."

Why was she doing this? It was the one thing I couldn't figure out. I even asked her what he had over her, and she told me nothing. "But we're mates." I tried again.

"And he's my alpha." Her voice held something I couldn't figure out what in. "Look, you know what I do even before realising we're mates. I can't just stop because of the bond. I have to do this."

"I can't believe you. You rather sleep with him than be with me."

"I'm sorry Max. I'm really am. You know how he is. I can't deny him. Goodbye Maximum."

That day, I remember punching a hole in the punishing back I used. I was so angry that I avoided Ashton the rest of the day and I even took the all night watch on Lady's pack, though I didn't report much on them the next day. Call that payback.

I sighed, seeing Henry walking towards me. Henry Goldstein was my best friend. He's been there supporting me, since Ashton had me beat for losing that race when we were younger.

"They're getting better." He put a hand on my shoulder.

"Yea. I just hope they don't take it to far. We can't have any of them out on a injury or muscle spasm."

Henry was chuckling beside me when Josh got the up on his partner and was wrestling him to the ground. "Looks like that's not happening."

We watched in silence for a few minutes as the pair fought. I felt Henry's eyes on me before he spoke.

"Things are getting kind of weird around here," he said, speaking a few notches lower than normal.

"Yea. I know."

"My spy has told me some interesting information." He waited until I glanced at him before continuing. "Ashton is working with rogues."

I turned to him. That's impossible. "Ashton wouldn't be crazy enough to work with rogues. The man hates them with a passion, bro."

"I trust my spy, Max. Ashton's doing something wild with a group of rogues."

"This can't be coming out of a simple rejection." I crossed my arms looking down at the floor. "I know Ashton is nuts, but to work together with a bunch of wild dogs...It's hard to believe."

"Well believe it."

"I can't. Not unless I see proof."

A smile spreads over Henry's face. "I can get proof. What I want to know though is are you still going ahead with the you-know-what?"

He was talking about me putting an end to Ashton's rule. It was something I've decided to a couple of years back when I notice the current alpha following in the very same steps as the former alpha. I'm the only one who can provide a good match and possibly win against McCain.

I've even used these last few years to train harder, while he was busy abusing pack members and sleeping with my mate. I was sure he slept with her out of pleasure. He knew she was my mate, yet to prove that his dominance, he slept with her whenever he wanted. The whole ordeal sickened me, but mad me angry more.

"I'm still going to take him down. I just have to wait for the prefect opportunity. If I do it now, he'll have me killed in a heartbeat. I need to get him when his guard is down."

Henry nodded his head. "Until than, I'll get your proof and I'll keep my eyes open. Hey, looks like Josh lost."

Looking back at the match, I couldn't help but smile. Josh was being pinned to the floor mat and he was being made to say 'uncle'.