Chapter 13

She punches a tree.

Free will. My powers are useless to that.

"You know. I know you do."

The growls of several approaching wolves had me snarling. McCain stood there, smiling that amused smile. A smile that said he was winning.

"My friends here will escort you off our land. I believe your search here is over seeing as your son isn't here."

I just want to rip his head off. The splitting of wood was like background music to the anger boiling within me.

The image of Casper's grinning face flashes before my eyes. I found myself slashing the tree.

Wanting to cut away the anxiety and guilt I felt.

I was too weak to protect my own son. My own son.

How couldn't my powers work on those wolves?

The fight replays over in her mind's eyes. She stood growling at the pack of rogues. Casper shifted closer to her as much as he could. She remembers talking him to hide, and she took a good snap at the leader, this beginning the fight. All three of them fought her, meeting her bite for bite and claw for claw. She remembers hearing Casper's call of distress. She remembers being knocked in the side. Her head hitting a huge stone hard. She remembers Santana voice, asking her where their son was.

She remembers the anger, sorrow, and worry.

"Where do you have him?" She asked no one.

"Where." Stopping her slaughter on the tree, she rests her hand of the rough surface.

Acheron.

His name came clearly to her mind. The vampire she killed for his cruel treatment and slavery of werewolves.

...

'Such a splitting image of your mother.' Acheron's southern deep voice was like a melody. A melody that keeps singing long after the music had ceased.

'My mother?'

A pretty smile he had. One that shows off his white teeth. Vampiric fangs. 'Yes. Yvette was beautiful. Her blood sweet like cotton candy.' He brushed a lock of my curly hair away from my face. I felt the very second, it returned to it's original place. 'It's too bad, I had to kill her.'

'You killed my mother?' I was surprised. Surprise that the beautiful man before me was the one claiming to be my mother's murder.

I was only an baby. A child who never got to know her own mother. Never to love her presence.

My father. I remembered. What happened to him? He must have read my unasked question from my face for he answered my thoughts the very next seconds.

'The whole pack actually.' He chuckles once, his eyes reflecting hate, disgust. I couldn't be sure in that moment.

'A bunch of idiots who wanted to die you see. But I was fine with that, so long as I had my Yvette.' He balls his fist at his side. 'But you see, she didn't want me. ' He was quiet for just a minute or so.

'Doesn't matter. I have you now. Your blood may not be sweet, but that doesn't mean your body isn't.' I felt his hand groping my my hip on the right while he continues to stoke my cheek simultaneously.

He killed my family. My pack. Enslaved them even. And than he beat my people. My friend to near death.

Yet here he was.

Taunting me through that sweet voice of his. His touch bringing heat to everywhere he touched. Burning heat.

'As if I'll go with a old pervert like you.'

Acheron features seems to darken at that very instant. 'Don't worry. You'll be back to being in your formal place.' His tone was chilling, threatening yet calm like the eye of a tornado. 'In my cells, this time.'

...

I couldn't hold it anymore. My legs, heavy as if weights have been striped to them, crumbles beneath me. The grassy ground, catching me as I fall, was like a soft bed. Not that I've felt much right now.

'I will never die.'

Those words came to haunt me every night since Casper was kidnapped.

'You will never be rid of me.'

Was he behind this? The slave owner of my people just because he considered himself above them. My son. O god. If he has my son...

"Luna?"

Shifting my gaze upward revealed Isis standing before me. His stoic expression held an gentleness. "He is gone. You took care of that, my leader." He extended a big, scared hand towards me.

Yes, I had. Severing that vampire's head from h u s body and burning him piece by piece took care of him. So, why than. Why does his words-his empty threats-still haunts me?

Taking his hand, I was lifted from the ground as if I weighed little to nothing.

"Did you learn anything, Ice?"

"I found nothing. McCain's pack functions like an ordinary pack without their Alpha around. "

Guess that rule McCain out. Ice couldn't find anything. Neither could Seth.

I'm almost out of my league here. Who could want to hurt my son?

"Come on. Let's head back and regroup."

As I was walking pass Isis, he lashes onto my upper arm, stopping me. I looks at him. His expression taking on a seriousness I've only ever seen in his younger years when he was excited about being part of the hunters of our pack.

"I promise my life to protect young Casper. Please accept my apologies for falling you both during your time of need."

"Ice, it wasn't your fault."

"Just the same, I wasn't protecting him when I gave you my word that I would." An sadness enters Isis's sky blue eyes.

When my son was born, Isis swear his loyalty and protection to Casper. After healing him and sharing his pain that day, he gave himself to Casper. At the time, I didn't mind nor paid his vow much attention, putting it off as Ice's strong desire to repay me in his own way.

Now looking at him, I could see the burning rage and determination to find and bring Casper home.