CHAPTER TWENTY

Michael's POV

After Vince opens his presents, we continue with the party, there are smiles all around me, everyone is enjoying the celebration. Children are playing party games while the adults drink to their hearts content which is okay because as werewolves we have a high metabolism, it takes a lot of alcohol to get us drunk. We are having a barbecue outside, Chris, Dante and I are grilling the meat on an open fire.

"Why don't we go on a guys trip, away from the women, we rarely spend anytime together, I miss you Bros" Chris says as he flips a piece of meet on a grill grate, sizzling it.
"Really dude! We see each other everyday.  You will find any excuse to run away from your expectant wife and three year old son" Dante says with an incredulous smile and a head shake.
"I am not running, I want to simply take - a-  break"
I snort  "from your responsibility?" I ask, taking a sip from my beer
"No, what! No, I love my family" Chris says defensively "I just need a breather, some time away from the pack"
"Okay, how is that not running away? " Dante asks
"No,it's not, you don't understand, I spend most of my nights on patrol, when I get home I try to get some sleep, but my mate won't stop nagging and my son wants to play every time he sees me, don't get me wrong I love my family but I just want a little me time" Chris says all in one breathe, Bernice is rubbing off on him.
"How about I cut your patrol time that way you get enough rest and have time to spend with your family," he opens his mouth as if he is about to say something or argue by the looks on his face but then closes it. I raise my eyebrow waiting for his response 

"Thank you, Alpha,". Good Beta. I know that the past two years have been hard on my warriors, more intense training, more hours on patrol. I have not been easy on them, but it is  what's best, we have not had any recent  attacks from Rogues and I will ensure that it stays that way. That is why I will not allow any slacking, the peace must continue. I may have forgiven them years ago but that doesn't mean that it exonerates them.

We continue with the braai as pack members come to get their preferred meat from the grill. I can see Kathy dancing with our son in her arms on the open grass, she holds his hand in hers as they twirl around the grass, laughing boisterously with foreheads pressed to one another. Kathy looks absolutely stunning wearing a beautiful knee length purple bareback dress that shows off her curves, she has the body that would look good even in the ugliest of clothes.

"The Alpha is now the cook I see" Dad says, coming to stand beside me
" Yes, part time"
" I remember there was a time when you were young you would always disappear when you were asked to help or prepare food but now here you are cooking voluntarily while wearing a 'Alpha is a good cook' apron, he chuckles while staring at my apron. It was not my idea but I love my apron.
"I grew up" I state. I wanted to show Kathy that even though I suck at cooking almost every dish, I can at least cook meat on a fire, it's just place on a grill, flip once in a while till its brown then am done.
"Well am sure the guys will finish up, I would like to talk to my son" Dad says facing Dante and Chris
"It is no problem Alpha" Dante replies with a bow of the head.
We enter the pack house and head upstairs to my office, what could possibly be wrong that I have been pulled out of the party?.   Once we enter my office, I walk to my side of the desk and sit in my chair while Dad sits across from me. I tap my foot waiting for him to speak but he just sits and stares at me.
"What is it that you want to talk about?"
"Son, I know you are going get angry but I need to know when you and Kathy are planning on having a baby"
"Dad, come on, not this again, not today " I stand to walk out the door
"Then when?! I have been coming here for months for an answer but every time I bring it up you either change the subject or get angry and stomp out like a spoiled child" Dad stands then takes tentative steps towards me " I was hoping that since you are in a good mood today, we might sit and talk like adults"
"Dad, not now"
"Michael, you are an Alpha and as Alpha you have a responsibility to the pack to produce an heir"
"I know Dad, I know, it's not like we are not trying". Kathy and I do spend adequate time together, she fulfils all my sexual desires. We have been to Dr Williams and according to him we are both healthy.
"Look, if the natural way is not working, you could try surrogacy, it works for humans, we could ask a female pack member to carry the baby to term"
"No Dad, Kathy will carry our baby" I say, running a hand through my hair "and since when are you now an advocate for surrogacy, you told me that it will never be part of our way of life, that Alpha females are blessed by the goddess to carry the next Alpha to ensure continuity of the pack"
"I know what I said but it is because of the need to ensure continuity that is why am bringing it up" Dad says
"No Dad, just...No" he sighs "I know you love your mate son and you want to keep her happy but that does not change the fact that the more she advances in age from here on out, the less likely she will be able to conceive naturally." he gives me a pat a back and walks towards the door
"I love you son, I want to see you happy" he exhales deeply " but I also love my pack, all that I say or do is for your own good and for the good of the pack". He turns the door knob and walks out of my office.
"Fuck!" I yell in frustration whilst kicking the chair with enough force that it hits the adjacent wall then breaks. I am not stupid, I know that everything that Dad said is true but I can't, will not do something out of fear or obligation. I also love my pack, but I will not hurt Kathy for their sake. We will keep trying and I believe that we will be blessed with a little one of our own soon. I, however cannot dismiss the idea of surrogacy either even though I may not like it. I walk out of the pack house avoiding pack members and head straight home, my good mood ruined.