CHAPTER ELEVEN

Kathy's POV

"How long has it been since we last saw each other? Diana asks as she makes me sit on a stool in the kitchen while she prepares the coffee, I had offered to help but she wouldn't let me. The pack house kitchen is empty as most pack members have had their breakfast and left for the day. 

Diana, Michael's mother and I have known each other for over 15 years, she and her husband  Derrick visited the pack to sign a treaty with their then five year old son Michael while they were Alpha and Luna of the Bloodhowler's pack. Since then I would see them on occasion during their visits,  Joseph  would always visit their pack with Alpha Grayson and Luna Grace while I remained within the pack borders of Moonshine, I rarely left the pack.
"Almost three years" I can tell that this is uncomfortable for her. I know it is not easy to see the woman you have literally known all this while bound to your son.
"Oh yes...we had come to attend the young Alpha's birthday, has he taken over the pack now?"
"No,  he is taking over from Alpha Grayson this year" 
"I was sorry to hear about your mate, he was a good man, he didn't deserve to die like that." she says pouring the coffee into our cups and sits on a stool next to mine . I give her an appreciative smile and take a sip of my coffee.
"Now you have been given a second chance mate, my son. to make you happy, the goddess is truly kind " she says staring at the wall, "when Michael turned eighteen, he was so excited to find his mate, being Alpha came second. He became so impatient that he almost left the pack to go on a search, but duty kept him here. It turns out that she was not that far away".
"I am sorry" I blurt out
"Why are you sorry Kathy?"
"I know, I am not what you expected, you expected someone young, beautiful and I am not..."
"Hey" Diana turns on her stool to fully face me and places her hands in mine . "You have nothing to be sorry about, you are not to blame for anything, I admit that I was taken aback when my son told us you two were mates but I realize that this is not about me, this is about being happy that my son found his mate and I know that you will make him happy"  I smile gratefully, she gives my hands a gentle squeeze and let's go to take a sip of her coffee.
Mellisa walks  into the kitchen followed by two other young women. "Good morning Luna Kathy, Good morning Luna Diana"
"Good morning "
"Good morning ladies " Diana says
"Luna Kathy, this is Sandra, the Beta female and this is Lea, she is a warrior of the pack " Mellisa says pointing them out. Sandra is about my height 5'8" with green eyes and dirty blond hair, while Lea is about 6'1" with black hair and emerald eyes. Her face reminds me of someone. "Lea, are you related to Bernice?". I ask
"Yes Luna, she is my younger sister" Lea says.
"You have met Bernice? She's a lovely girl though she's quite a motormouth  " Diana says as everyone laughs.
"Unfortunately , that is true" Lea says. Mellisa and Lea leave for patrol while Sandra checks on her infant son upstairs.
I spend the day with Luna Diana as she takes me on a tour around the pack, the pack land is mostly forest with the pack house at the centre, there are few houses surrounding the pack house for those who do not want to live in the pack house and a small pack hospital. Throughout the tour, pack members are courteous and welcoming though I notice they are avoiding eye contact.
After the tour, we head back to the pack house for lunch. I find my son playing outside, he runs to me to give me a hug with my mother in tow.
"Hello Doris, how have you been? It's been a while and Vincent, you have grown so big since the last time I saw you" Diana says 

"I have been okay Luna Diana" Mum answers as Vincent gives her a shy smile 

"Kathy, you should enroll your son in school soon, that way he may be with children his age" Diana suggests. The kids within the pack attend school in the next town over which is populated by humans.
Later, I decide to go and check on my mate, I carry some spaghetti and meatballs on a plate for him with a cup of juice, am guessing he has not eaten anything since he is still in his office and it is past lunch. I stand at the door debating on whether I should just enter or knock first . Well, the decision is taken from me when the door is opened and standing in front of me is Lea. What is she doing here?
"Luna Kathy, please come in she says with a tilt of the head and stands on the side as I enter the office, I hear the door close as Lea leaves.  I see Michael leaning on his desk with his palms pressed on each side, I immediately walk straight to him, place the tray of food on the side of his desk and wrap my arms around him, I press my face into his neck to take in his scent, I run my nose up and down his neck then place a kiss on his neck . He stiffens, I try to jump back realizing what I have done, but Michael wraps his hands around me, I look down to avoid eye contact, why did I do that? I blame it on the mate bond "sorry " .
"Kathy" he calls placing the tips of his index finger and middle finger under my chin to tilt my head. "Don't be, I am yours as you are mine " he leans in, I can feel his warm breathe as my heart beats faster and faster, he brushes his lips over mine. I close my eyes "I am yours" he whispers in my ear  placing a soft kiss on my neck then he presses his lips firmly on mine, his lips are warm and soft, his fingers run through my curls as we breathe each other in. His other arm is wrapped around my waist pressing me closer to him, after a moment of hesitation I kiss him back, applying a little pressure as he sucks on my lower lip, I open my mouth slightly and he slides his tongue into my mouth, he moves his tongue against mine slowly and gently, we eventually break the kiss and he presses his forehead against mine as we take deep breathes "Kathy, would you like to go on a date with me?" I am still high from our kiss that it takes few seconds for me to register what he has said. 

"Huh"
"Would you like to go on a date with me" he repeats as he looks deeply  into my eyes. "Yes, I would love to"