Chapter 38

Skylar's POV

It was really great to be in Ace's arms again. To feel the warmth of his body. To feel that sense of safety that he gives me. So much has happened in those few days. That 'Elle thing', those two men who followed me and then beat me up, all those days without Ace..

I was lying with him in his bed, snuggled into each other. His arm was wrapped around me tightly as if he was afraid that someone would take me away from him. His chest was moving up and down slowly. He looked so peaceful. I was running my fingers on his arm, and his skin seemed so delicate under my touch.

It was something around 2am and I have been lying like that for an hour or so. I couldn't sleep again. So many thoughts were in my head and I couldn't make them go away. I lifted up Ace's arm gently and slowly got out of the bed. I went to the living room and sat beside the huge window which reached all the way to the floor. That's the best thing in his flat.

I love the view from here. You can see the whole city. All the buildings, milions of bright lights glistening in the dark, and streets which are always full of cars even at this late hour. I pressed my legs to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I was wearing only Ace's t-shirt and boxer briefs which he gave me so it was quite cold. Goosebumps dusted on my skin.

"Baby?"

Ace's voice was coming from the left and I turned my head towards him. He was wearing only his black sweatpants. Eyes barely open, and hair messy from sleeping. He came up closer and sat down in front of me with his eyebrows slightly furrowed.

"Why aren't you sleeping?" I questioned.

"I was about to ask you the same question."

"I haven't been sleeping very well lately." I said softly and looked out the window.

Suddenly, Ace sat with his legs wide open and pulled me closer that I was sitting between his legs, putting mine on either side of him. He placed his hands on my waist and looked down at me tenderly.

"What's wrong?" worry obvious in his voice.

"Nothing, really." I whispered and looked down, but Ace lifted up my head in a second making me look at him.

"Why are you sad, baby?"

Do you know that feeling when you want to cry but try to hold it so others don't have to worry, but when they ask you what's wrong or something, you just tear up? My eyes started to fill with tears and I sniffed. Ace should be sleeping but here he is, sitting with me at 2am. He won't get some sleep which he certainly needs, because of me.

"Sky..." He pleaded.

"I'm just tired, Ace. So fucking tired." I breathed out with a trembling voice and my eyes met his. "Tired of caring too much, and feeling all at once. It's getting to be too much and I'm done with pretending I'm fine because I'm not. And I'm so sorry..."

He cupped my face with his hands. I was such an emotional wreck. I was so damaged at this moment.

"Shh, you have nothing to be sorry about." His voice stayed soft and I shook my head.

"No, I do. I'm sorry that I cut myself, I'm sorry that I'm another thing that you have to worry about, I'm sorry that I shut you out and seem distant sometimes, I'm sorry you have to go through all of this because of me. I want to be a person that makes you happy and has always that positive vibe. I don't want to react to everything. I don't want to put energy into things I shouldn't. I don't want to have all those negative thoughts that make me grumpy and sad which can oppress you. I want to smile and laugh more, and most importantly I want to be the reason YOU smile."