02 | Chapter Two

»--•--«

ACT ONE

Chapter Two

»--•--«

»--•--«

'where plans are being made by the minute'

»--•--«

"ALRIGHT, HE'S AN HOUR LATE. FUCK HIM." TOMMY SAYS IMPATIENTLY as he stands. "This business directly affects Arthur but he's not here, so we'll take a vote without him."

"What business?" Ada enquires, sitting beside a silent Louise.

"Official business that wasn't on your agenda, Ada." Polly tells her as she starts to open up a case, taking what looks like photographs out of it.

"An informant told us that six years ago, Luca Changretta came from New York to Birmingham to be best man at his cousin's wedding," Tommy continues.

"We found out they used Ried and Dunn on Broadgate for the photographs. The photographer kept the negatives, so I persuaded him to give us copies. And to enlarge this one." Polly shares, presenting her family with a close view of Luca.

"That is Luca Changretta." Tommy informs his family, Louise swallowing silently, feeling guilty that she already knows what Luca looks like, she even knows the sound of his voice having seen him last week. "I've seen his face so I could pick him out. Half of the men in the photograph are Changrettas, which means chances are they've come to kill us. We need to get both of these photographs into pubs and on street corners. Put it about that there's a reward for information."

"We also propose that we give a copy of this photograph to Mr Aberama Gold." Polly suggests.

"We need to forget the idea that it has to be Arthur that pulls the trigger. Tradition will just fuck us up." Tommy adds, waving his cigarette around as he speaks.

"Trigger?" Louise asks as her head lifts up.

"We need Luca Changretta dead, Lou. That's it." Tommy states coldly as Louise nods

"Dropping the law of the bullet is part of the process of modernisation that I was working on before I, well before I was executed." Polly explains, her routine blank expression on her face.

"You weren't executed. Pol." Micheal reminds.

"What did you call me?" Polly snaps her head around at him, Louise also looking confused at Micheal's name for his own mother.

"Right, let's take a vote, I'll deal with Arthur. All those in favour of giving the photograph to Mr Gold, raise your hand." Tommy instructs, dismissing Polly's question to her son as she now raises her hand along with Lizzie, Micheal and Louise.