Chapter 10: The Third and Final Task

It had been a week since Cedric and I had the argument. I hadn't talked to him at all and I tried to avoid him. I hadn't talked to Harry or Fred and George about the argument. I especially didn't want to tell Harry because I knew he was right about Cedric. I should have listened to Harry but then Cedric had a whole story and it had to be true. He couldn't have made it up. This was our last week of classes before the third task. I quickly got ready and headed down for class. First I have Transfiguration. I skipped breakfast since I didn't feel like eating. I skipped breakfast all last week too. I went straight to McGonagall's classroom for Transfiguration. I found a seat next to Dawn and Naomi. McGonagall starts teaching quickly so I don't have time to chat.

"Where were you at breakfast?" mumbles Naomi to me without looking away from McGonagall.

"I wasn't hungry" I whisper

"Ellie you have to eat your going to starve yourself" Whispers Dawn

"I'm not hungry anymore" I mutter

"Fine we will talk about this after class" Naomi mumbles

"Your Transfiguration tests are going to be in two weeks. Start studying now and you will pass." McGonagall says, passing out papers. She skips over me and doesn't give me one. I look at Naomi confused. She just shrugs and so does Dawn. "you all have been doing great in class so most of you will pass" I don't say anything about the paper instead I sit quietly listening to McGonagall. "Your tests will be graded like the O.W.Ls are graded so do try your best." Everyone starts taking notes for a while. "Class, remember the test, go on to your next class now" I start to pack up my stuff. "Miss Black and Mr. Diggory please stay behind a moment I would like to talk with you"

I pack up my things and wait at my desk. I don't even glance at Cedric. It's an awkward silence while we wait for Mcgonagall to come back. I didn't know what she wanted to talk to us about but I was nervous. I've never been asked to stay at the end of a class. Then she comes back.

"Please come here you two" McGonagall waves us over to her desk. " I'm sorry but You both are failing my class." I was failing? I had no clue "Mr. Diggory I realize that the tournament can be stressful but please try to keep your classes before it, and Miss Black is there any family problems going on? Anything we should know? You normally are near the top of my class"

 My eyes fill with tears thinking about Cedric and a lump in my throat forms. Ever since he said he hated me my life fell apart. I wasn't passing classes, I wasn't even hungry anymore, I lost my appetite. I guess the same happened to Cedric.

I swallow hard.

 "Family stuff" I say quietly, keeping my eyes focused down.

"Same" Cedric says

"Very well. Here is some makeup work" she hands us both a packet of work "have it done by test day and then you can take the test" McGonagall says "off you go you have another class"

I quickly got my stuff and ran out of the room before Cedric could say anything. I ran to catch up with Dawn and Naomi.

"Hey what did she want to talk to you about" Dawn asks

"Oh er I'm failing the class and so is Cedric" I say

"We can tutor you" Naomi adds

"Wait Cedric is failing too?" Dawn asks. I nod my head "you know what that means" I already know but I want Dawn to say it for herself. She doesn't find much out often, "it means that Cedric's life is falling apart just as much as yours is"

"Ha ha very funny" I say sarcastically

"Well Dawn is right he is falling apart just like you. Maybe he didn't mean it. Maybe it was out of anger and he regrets it now." Naomi adds