Chapter 15 ~ Surprise

Toni

"So how much do you need to raise?" asked LaToya.

"The goal is $5000 for the 1st graders."

"Cool! We got this." We laughed and came up with ideas for marketing. Janet came back into the room.

"Jan, baby who was at the door?" She had a blank look.

"Come with me." I was confused and so was everyone else at the table.

"I-is it for me?" She nodded. "How?" I got up from my seat and so did LaToya. Going towards the front door, I froze when I saw who it was. She ran towards me and pulled me into a hug.

"Toni! Why didn't you tell us where you were?"

"Uhhh...uhhh."

"Sweetie, we were so worried."

"Mom, Dad. H-how did you find me?"

"We talked to Marquis and he told us that you and Kenny broke up. Then he said you were dating someone named Janet."

"It took us a while of searching but we finally found you." I slowly backed away.

"Why were you guys looking for me?" Everyone looked confused.

"We talked to Kenny." I backed away again. Janet came closer.

"Is everything okay, baby?" I was too stunned to answer.

"Sweetie, come on, let's talk." my dad held out his hand.

"No." I turned and ran to the nearest room. Closing the door, I went into the closet and held my head. "No, no, no." My heart was racing and I felt dizzy. All of sudden, I couldn't breathe and everything went silent. I felt my body being lifted and carried. Then I was sat down and someone held me while someone else wiped my face. Suddenly, my vision cleared up and my heart slowed down. Once my ears cleared up, I could hear Janet talking to me. I sat up against the headboard.

"Toni, what's wrong?"

"Ummm nothing. I just haven't seen them in a while."

"No, there's something more."

"Janet, don't push her." said LaToya. Janet was ready to get upset but she calmed down and pulled me close.

"Whenever you're ready, they want to talk to you." I knew that I couldn't do it but maybe this will be different. I nodded. "Okay, they're in the family room with my parents. I'll tell them you're coming."

"Okay, sweetie." Janet left the room and LaToya sat next to me.

"Are you going to tell her?"

"Toy, I can't. It'll make her look at me totally differently. I mean what if she thinks less than me?"

"She won't Toni. I know her."

"I don't know."

"Okay, how about you go out there and talk to them."

"Okay." I got up and went to the family room. When they saw me, my mother jumped up and pulled me to sit next to her.

"How are you, Toni?"

"I'm fine."

"Good. How's the job teaching here?"

"It's going well."

"Good."

Janet

Something was extremely weird with this situation. Her parents were so excited to see her and were so sweet. They seemed like regular people. However, Toni seemed to be extremely scared of them. Her mother has hugged her twice and both times Toni tensed up really badly and now she was sitting with pure fear in her eyes. "What do you guys want?" asked Toni.