Chapter 29 ~ Main Defense

Toni
Ever since Janet proposed to me, I have been on cloud nine. I couldn't believe I was actually going to get married to someone so affectionate as her. She made me feel complete. I could barely focus on anything else in my life.

"Ms. Braxton. Ms. Braxton. Ms. Braxton!" I jumped at the sound of my principals voice.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Wells. What were you saying?"

"I was asking if you had any ideas on how to get the children more engaged in learning activities?"

"I do actually." I pulled out my notebook. "I was thinking that if we make the activities more physical, then they would be more inclined to participate."

"Please explain."

"Well, they're in their seats most of the day except for P.E. so what if on some days we teach the lessons using games." Other teachers nodded.

"So we would be playing games instead of teaching?" He scoffed.

"No, we would incorporate the facts into the game. For example, I'm teaching the kids about the states. I had an idea of putting the states on different places in the classroom and playing a travel game."

"Oh that's interesting." said Gil.

"Exactly! I would ask them questions like "which state has a "T?" or which state has three syllables? They would go and find the states. Plus we'll be integrating more than one subject." The other teachers nodded along.

"No." said Mr. Wells.

"Why?"

"We're trying to teach these children about discipline not games. Obviously you didn't know that because of all your daydreaming."

"I apologized for that but these are elementary school kids. They will learn more about discipline in middle school."

"Well that shows that you're unqualified for this job. Anyone with a proper education and common sense would know that kids of any age need discipline." I felt tears come to my eyes. "Maybe if you spent more time doing your job and learning instead of talking about lovey doves things, you'd be a lot smarter and prepared. Now moving on. Mrs. Stewart. I believe you had an idea." I sat quietly as my heart sank. I kept my tears from falling.

The rest of the meeting was basic things like attendance and testing. Once we were finished, I gathered my things to go back to my room. I was stopped my Mr. Wells as I headed to the door. He pulled on my arm as I was trying to leave. "Ms. Braxton. I hope you understand I wasn't trying to be harsh with you. It's just that young teachers like you feel like you know everything and you don't. So I'd advise you to take a refresher course to better yourself. I wouldn't want you to be the cause of this school falling behind." I nodded. "Also, I'd prefer you not speak on your love life in the school building. It's highly inappropriate."

"I was just mentioning my engagement to Mr. Duldulao, who is a close friend of mine."

"I really don't care. Save that mess for after school hours." I nodded. I quickly walked to my classroom as I tried not to cry.  I was stopped by Mrs. Stewart.

"Hey, Toni. I am so sorry about what happened." She hugged me. "I don't know what his problem is. You are the brightest teacher here."

"Thank you." She gave me another hug before I went back to my classroom. Once inside, I let all of my tears fall. I heard a knock on my door. I opened it and saw that it was Gil. He instantly got upset.

"Uh uh not my girl crying. Come here." He pulled me into a hug.

"He was so mean to me. I didn't even do anything to him." I cried on his shoulder.