Chapter Sixteen

As I stayed in the room with Henry, I overheard a conversation between Rumple and Regina. "Any change?" he asked.

"No, he's not improving. He needs true loves kiss. He won't wake up until Mary Margaret comes back."

"Until? Well, that's rather optimistic, isn't it?"

"What are you talking about?"

"They're up against your mother. The only chance Snow and Emma have of defending her is with the squid ink."

"Which is why you sent the message through David."

"Which would be beneficial if we knew that message was delivered. But alas, given the prince's condition. We don't know. As such, it's important we take precautions. We have to consider the possibility that when that portal opens, it won't be his family that comes through. It'll be Cora."

"And neither one of us wants that."

"We have to find where they're coming through," said Rumple. "And destroy that portal." I frowned.

"But whoever comes through would die," said Regina.

"Exactly," said Rumple. "But I'm confident between the two of us, we can summon up enough magic to complete the task."

"Well, what if we're wrong? What if that portal opens up and it's not my mother? What if Mary Margaret and Emma do defeat Cora and go through it?"

"Well, I believe that in this world they would call it a win-win."

"How exactly is that?"

"If we stop Cora, you are protected against your mother's wrath. If on the other hand, we stop Emma and Mary Margaret, well," he chuckles. "You become the only mother in your son's life, now, don't you? Look, magic is unpredictable in this world. If something unfortunate were to happen, while you were attempting to help," he scoffed. "Henry could hardly blame you for that."

"No. I can't lie to him. I am trying to be a better mother."

"You won't be able to be a better anything if Cora comes through. And if she does, she will be a threat to everyone, including your son. So, if you truly want to be a good mother to Henry, to protect him... If you want to be better... prove it. Help me stop the portal. I am not letting your mother through, not when there's a chance she'll hurt Liana."

Regina scoffed. "You just want to protect your little girlfriend," she said.

"Of course I do," he said. I blushed. "What did you think? That I actually care about you?"

There was a pause. I didn't hear anything until I heard footsteps coming back into the room. I then continued to listen to Henry who was telling a story to the Prince. "With one kiss, true love's power made everything right again. But this was not the end of their story." I smiled sadly at Henry. "It was just the beginning."

I looked up. Regina came in. "I think this time it'll happen the other way around."

"You think so?" asked Henry, looking up at his mother.

She bent over, almost knocking into me, saying, "I do." She then looked at me. "Sorry Liana." I just shrugged as she then bent down completely to meet Henry's eyes. "Which is why I need you to stay here with Liana and watch David for a little while." I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Where are you going?" asked Henry.

Regina briefly looked at David. "Mr. Gold and I need to prepare for Emma and Mary Margaret's return." Henry smiled. I knew for a fact that is not what they were planning. "Coming through the portal won't be easy. We need to make sure everything's in place."