Superior?

A/N: Something for a request on tumblr for a reader that has abusive parent and that gave them issues with people they see superior, or who are older than them

"I just don't know how to deal with your dad. I know we've been together for a long time and I've met him multiple times, but he still kinda scares me" you blurted out while Shouto and you were sitting by the kitchen table for breakfast.

"Okay? Where did that come from?" Shouto asked, and looked at you with a bit of a worried expression.

"Sorry, I just felt like I needed to say it and I didn't know how to really lead into it, so I just said it" you sighed.

"It's okay, I kind of get where you're coming from" Shouto said.

He wasn't scared of his father anymore, but he did understand why you would find him scary or intimidating, especially with all you knew of him.

"I don't think it's all your dad's fault though. My parents just kind of instilled in me a fear of people who are my elders or superior to me" you said with a wry laugh, the memories flooding into your mind.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't wanna ruin your morning too, by talking about this I mean" you sighed.

"You couldn't ruin my morning even if you tried" Shouto said with a gentle, reassuring smile. "I want to know what you're feeling. I can see this isn't a subject you enjoy talking about, but I would like to know"

You considered what to say for a moment, before saying: "My parents didn't like me talking back to them, so I used to either get yelled at or slapped, if I was "disrespectful" you said slowly, trying to keep your voice steady.

"Hey, it's okay" Shouto said, grabbing your hand that was resting next to your mug on the table.

You took a few wavering breaths. You didn't feel like crying right now, even though you were sure Shouto wouldn't mind.

"Things are better between us now, and my parents are sorry for what they did" you said.

"I'm sorry that happened to you, but I'm glad if things are better between you now" Shouto said.

"I don't really feel like talking about this anymore, can we change the subject?" you asked.

"Of course, but I'm glad you told me" Shouto said gently and squeezed your hand.

You didn't really feel like going into more detail about the whole thing right now, but you were still glad you told him how you felt.