thirty - nine

"That one kinda looks like a penis

"That one kinda looks like a penis." I point out to Logan. She had the brilliant idea to let our minds relax at the park as we watch the funky looking clouds pass by.

"Really? I think it looks like a bunny." Looking back at the cloud I re-evaluate.

"Nope it looks like a penis."

We have spent almost everyday with each other. As the warmer months approach and Dads workload has picked up I made the executive decision to walk home from school everyday. It's refreshing. He doesn't have to stress about picking me up, and I can explore the city. I always stop by the little bakery that is owned by Rays wife.

Her treatments are working and although she isn't cancer free, she is feeling much better and has more good days then bad.

So, everyday after school I stop by and get some cookies for me and dad. I also have a part time job in the bakery. I have picked up baking as a hobby so it's nice getting payed for it.

When Logan found out I was no longer getting rides home she offered to walk with me. That is what has led to our picnic dates every day.

"Ooh," I gasp as I point to the next one. "Tell me that doesn't look like a sexy elephant." She bursts out in a fit of laughter. It sounds so pretty.

"Maggie are you trying to tell me something?" She wiggles her eyebrows and I smirk.

"What?" My lip quirks.

"That you think elephants are sexy."

"Oh yeah," I agree sarcastically. I look up and then to the side where I see Logan staring at me with a wide smile. "Have you not seen an elephants dump truck?

Rolling her eyes she looks away. "What about that one?" Tilting my head I know exactly what it is the second my eyes land on it.

"Sea otter, laying on its back, with shades on, slipping a margarita outta coconut."

"Spot on." We fist bump. It settles into a comfortable quiet. My head is rested on her shoulder and I can't help it when I grab the chocolate in her hand and shove it down my throat. She lightly laughs. Her heart beat picks up.

"Maggie?"

"Mhm." I mumble still eating the chocolate.

"I have a question for you. Just know that you don't have to answer if you don't want too but it's been on my mind for a while and I— sorry I am rambling."

"Don't worry ask away. I am made of steel." I puff my chest out and pound my fists on it after I sit up. I remind myself of a gorilla. Physically, mentally, and spiritually. Gorillas are my spirit animal. I am comforted by that fact. It would be so cool to hug a gorilla, it would be all fluffy an—

"Where did you disappear to five months ago?" I freeze. All gorilla thoughts gone as panic settles in. My eyes are wide, like a deer caught in the headlights.