thirty

Mamas house reeks of alcohol and whatever concoction she's stirring up in the kitchen

Mamas house reeks of alcohol and whatever concoction she's stirring up in the kitchen. Glass shards from lasts nights beer bottles are spread across the floor. Dried up blood leaves a trail in the carpet. My blood.

The living room is a disaster. The couch cushions are so old and ruined that the foam in the cushions stick out in certain spots. The coffee table has nine empty beer bottles, three burnt out cigarettes, a line of white dust that is one hundred percent cocaine. A credit card right next to the pile.

I doubt there's any money on that card.

I tread silently to the staircase just hoping that she won't hear me.

"Maggie?! Doll?" My mother's voice rings through the house. Her words are slurred and I can hear her footsteps making their way towards me.

She comes around the corner and her eyes light up. "Hi dolly! You look so pretty today." She twirls my hair with her fingers. I try my best to smile but I can't. I physically can't.

"Hi Mama." I manage to choke out. I think I'll be sick. She smells like dirt and alcohol. Her eyes are red and glossy with leftover white powder under her nose. Her hair looks like a rats nest and I can clearly see where she stuck lasts nights needle in her arm.

"You look so pretty. When did you grow up?" She rests her hand on my cheek and it takes everything in me not to step away.

"I don't know mama." My eyes water. I grew up the day you sold me to men. I will never have the guts to say that to her face though. She makes me so scared. She's never this nice. Somethings happening.

She wants something.

"Well doll, I am making myself some food. Ro bought you something nice. It's on your mattress." Nodding my head, her hand drops from my cheek and she turns around. I watch as she staggers towards the kitchen.

Letting out a shaky breath I rapidly wipe my eyes and the tears that betrayed me. I turn around going up the creaky staircase to my room. Taking a deep breath I push the broken door open and see a red box on my bed.

Wear this tonight - R

My stomach drops. No.

Opening up the box a set of red lingerie sits neatly folded at the bottom.

My heart breaks knowing what he wants me to wear this for.

"Maggie they'll be here in ten minutes!" My mom screams at me from the stairs. So much for her happy act. It's now replaced with her very intoxicated abusive mood.

Taking off my clothes I get into the lingerie. I don't dare look at my body. The sight will make me physically ill.

The bell rings a minute later.