seventeen

I watch as the cup made out of glass, rocks back and forth as Roans fists slam down onto the old wooden table with uneven legs

I watch as the cup made out of glass, rocks back and forth as Roans fists slam down onto the old wooden table with uneven legs. I don't move a muscle at the booming sound and the clatter of their plates.

I watch as the glass tips spilling the milk all over the table. The glass that must've been years old shattered on impact making the same exact sound as when Mama throws her beer bottles at my head.

I don't move a muscle. I don't let my gaze wander away from the table coated in white milk. I stare at the spilled milk that has glass shards floating on top.

I don't let my eyes move from the spilled milk as my body is hoisted up from my seat, being tugged by my long hair. I don't feel the pain as Roans strong hands grip my hair feeling each individual strand ripping out.

I don't flinch as he drops he down on the ground beside the table. Kicking me in the side he makes sure I am facing up at the ceiling.

Snails. I learned about them today at school in Mrs. Heberts science class. They are slow moving insects that have a shell to protect them for when a little kid tries to pick them up. They curl into their protective shell until the coast is clear and the kids have found some other insect to torture.

I feel like a snail. I am in my own protective shell. My mind goes blank. No fear, no pain. I lay on the disgusting sticky linoleum floor right next to the table.

What happens when the kid accidentally drops the snail? The hard ground and the impact of the drop probably breaks the shell the snail once found safety in.

The dripping of the spilled milk lands on my cheek in fast drops. I watch as the milk drips and drips and drips. But then the drips turn into a full waterfall as Roan swipes all of the milk over the table and onto my frozen figure.

The milk blinds my vision and that's when the glass shards make contact with my face.

The glass breaks my skin and sharp stings is all I can feel on my face as the waterfall stopped.

Kind of like the snail my safety shell cracked.

Hot tears pool in my eyes as repeated kicks to different sides of my body are being delivered to me. Roan kicks my stomach and Mama kicks my back. They switch turns every kick making my body jolt forward only to be kicked back.

As quickly as the kicks came they stopped. My head is dizzy and spinning as I feel my body being dragged across the small house that is my place of residence.

"You stupid clumsy kid you just can't do anything right can you?" Roan taunts me as he holds my chin open spitting into my mouth.

I gag as that godawful taste of his bad breath mixed with his booze sits in my mouth. He pinches my nose and covers my mouth giving me no way to breathe.

"Swallow it slut." He growls. The task is nearly impossible but I manage. This isn't the first time he's done this.

"Maggie?"