Epilogue

9:00 June 2nd, 2023

Slovak's House, NC

I had woken up earlier, at about eight. I was already read to go to Gaz's Diner then head to Bragg. I was about to walk out the door without eating until I got a call. I pulled my phone out of my pocket to see who it was. Townes. I answered it,"Yessir?" I said, "Slovak, I'm guessing your back from your 'trip.' Come to Bragg ASAP. We have stuff to talk about. Alright?" He said quite fast. "Alright." I replied, "Alright. Cya when you get here." He then hung up.

That was strange... He said that pretty damn fast. Anyway, I went back to my fridge, grabbed a few power bars, and headed to my truck. I then hopped into the front seat, started it, shut the garage door, backed out of the driveway, and headed for Bragg.

The drive to Bragg seemed short, too short. Before I knew it, I was at Bragg, with the guard waving me through the gate, and me waving back. I drove to one of the many parking lots and parked in a spot close to the main building. I then turned it off, hopped out of the truck, locked it, and walked towards the main building.

Once I made it there, I walked to Townes's office, which was right down the first hallway. I knocked on the door once I had made it. "Come in." Townes said. I opened the door, walked in, and shut it. "Mornin' sir." I said. "Morning Slovak, take a seat." He said. I then took a seat, and asked:"Alright sir, what's the brief?" "Well," he responded,"Good job on everything. You've put the forces who attacked our country into disarray, and restored our image as a powerful nation. The Black Confederation's forces in Africa have all either been routed, or killed. So far, most have seemed to be eliminated. But Slovak, you deserve a damn medal for what you've done. You're a fucking hero. You may have gone renegade for the first month, but damn! I understand why you did. You're a patriot, wait, more than a patriot... Ah, you know what I'm trying to say. Anyway, I just wanted to personally say thank you. Thank you for just... Being a true soldier. So, take a break for awhile Slovak. Go on vacation or whatever. Oh, and, we're gonna put together another team, since your team kinda left. But this time there'll be more than one. There'll be at least three teams of four or five. Except, we'll make the cuts more strict. You'll see what I mean soon, but for now, take off Slovak. Alright?" He said and explained, I then replied with, "Alright sir. Thank you." He then put his palm up, "No big deal Slovak. Do you need anything else?" He asked, "A million bucks?" I asked, "As in deer?" Townes replied chuckling, "Yeah, so I can sell those things for twenty million." I then laughed with Townes. We both stood up and shook hands. "Have a good day Townes." I said, "You too." He replied. I then stood up, about faced, walked to the door, opened it, walked through it, and closed it.

"Another team? Or should I say, more teams? More strict too?... I hope Townes is right about this whole thing..." I thought to myself as I walked down the hallway and out the door to the parking lot. I made my way to my truck, unlocked it, hopped into the driver seat, and started it. I back out of my spot carefully, since the lot had filled up since I arrived. As I backed out and started to make my way to the gate, I looked at the clock on the radio. "Ten fifty... Imma miss breakfast at Gaz's..." I said to myself. I got to the gate, and the guard waved me through. I then drove through, and out the base. I made a left turn, and headed for Gaz's.

After a good ten minute drive, I made it to Gaz's. But as I pulled up onto the gravel parking lot, I noticed something... Odd... There were more cars than usual there, they couldn't be employees, because Gaz didn't have that many... Something was up. The shutters were shut as well, you couldn't see in. The "we're open" sign still hung from the front door.

I parked my truck and got out. I made my way to the door. Once I reached the door, I crouched down against the concrete beneath the window beside the door. I knocked on the door. A knock came back with Gaz's voice, "Come on in laddie!" Is what he said. His voice showed no shakiness or nervousness, a good sign. I then stood up, faced the door, and opened it while walking in. Suddenly, the shutters came up, and the lights came on. "SURPRISE!!" Said the huge crowd of people in the diner.