Chapter 29

Reykjavik, Iceland
15:00 June 1st, 2023

The globe master jumbo jet came to a halt, and cut it's engine. We had landed in Iceland to refuel. This meant a two-hour wait. Also a two-hour break. The ramp of the globe master lowered, and all 42 of us walked off it. I had been put on a US globe master troop carrier jet by Townes. Since it was the ONLY thing going through Germany. So I hopped on a plane with forty two people I barely knew, but we were all going to the same place... Hopefully.
We could do whatever we wanted (well not entirely) for two hours. Everyone headed for the terminal, including me. I was gonna catch a cab to the town. So that I could buy Sidnee something hopefully. We had landed at a civilianish airport. Iceland was a major fuel hub for allied aircraft, so it turned most of its airports into military air bases. Reykjavik was one of the airports that was halfway spared.
Once I had made it through the terminal, I caught a cab and took it to the outskirts of Reykjavik. Where I could probably get Sidnee something nice. The outskirts usually had nice stores that had nice things for reasonable prices.
After the cab dropped me off next to a merchandise store, I paid the driver and sent him on his way. I could call for another ride, I had the number of a private cab service. I can get a ride within fifteen minutes at the max.
Anyway, I walked into the store, and was greeted by a employee. He spoke Icelandic, and shook my hand. "English?" I asked in english, wondering if he spoke it. "Ah yes sir, I do. What can we help you with today?" He asked happily in english. I was glad he spoke english, if he didn't, I was screwed. "I'm looking for something for my girlfriend back home. Got anything she might like?" I asked, the merchandise stores in Iceland had everything. Jewelry, souvenirs, guns, etc.. So whenever you needed something special, you headed to the merchandise store.
"Yes sir we do, follow me." The employee motioned me to follow him. I did so, and he lead me past Nordic products, weapons, and souvenirs in general. Iceland was founded by the Vikings way back when, so if you ever wonder why everything in Iceland is Nordic, thats why.
We finally reached the jewelry section, and the employee stopped me. "Wait here." He then quickly went behind the counter and slid the cover off the back of the jewelry cases. He pulled out a few pieces of jewelry. I could tell they were vintage, original, and just plain ol' real.
"Here we go, Nordic style and modern style jewelry. They're all equally perfect for your girl probably, but theaw really stand out..." He picked up a necklace, which was part green, part black, part gold, and part silver. He then picked up a ring, which had the same colors as the necklace. They both shone with a brilliancy. "Made of Osmium, the densest element in the world. They are next to unbreakable, and besides platinum, is one of the most beautiful and brightly shining elements. While the green, black, and gold may not go together, these only show up in the shade. But if you take these out in the sun... They shine the bright color of silver, except two times better. This is because the bracelet is dotted with near-microscopic Osmium crystals that are lightly colored with reflective paint. The reflective paint sorta "disappears" in the light, but in the shade they show up as those three colors. Incredible ingenuity..." He explained with a happy tone. "So what's the price?" I asked in a suddenly deep, raspy voice. My voice was going in and out ever since I had ended the madness of me hunting down and killing people. "Oh for a normal customer it would be five hundred-" "Euros?" I interrupted. "Yes." He replied quickly. "So one thousand American dollars?" I said, "Yes sir... You're good." He said, I had simply known that the Euro was two times more valued than the US dollar. "Anyway, but for you, these two fine pieces of jewelry could be fifty euros." My eyes widened. I knew these weren't fake, it would take a smart person to fake these things. Plus, Iceland isn't known for fake products. "What?" I said in shock, "Yes, fifty euros." He said with a smile. "My friend, I can guarantee you her happiness with this." I finally gave in, the guy was nice, and knew a lot about the product. I pulled out a hundred dollar bill. "All I gotta say is thank you sir." The man waved his hand, took the hundred dollars, and put it into the register. "Don't mention it. Anything for a service member. Brother's in the military himself." He put the ring and necklace into a bag, and handed it to me. "Good day sir." He said, I took the bag, shook his hand, said good day, and walked out the door.