NEWT scamander x Percival graves pt1

Newt apparated to the edge of a Tennessee forest. He had received an urgent owl from a concerned witch stating that an injured wampus was seen in this forest. He had never seen a wampus before and was eagerly anticipating meeting one. He just hoped it wasn't too severely injured.

Newt removed his wand from its holster and checked to make sure his case was still securely closed. He didn't want any of his creatures escaping into the forest.

"Well, what do you think, Pickett?" he asked, glancing down at the bowtruckle in his lapel pocket. "Ready to meet a wampus?"

He chuckled as he listened to Pickett's chirps. "No, I don't think he will eat you. Wampuses eat meat, not bowtruckles. Now, let's go find that wampus."

Before he could enter the forest, he heard a near silent pop behind him. He whirled around and came face to face with Gellert Grindelwald. He quickly fired a spell at him but it was lazily batted out of the air.

"There's no need for that, my dear Newt," Grindelwald purred. "It's a pleasure to see you again. You're even more beautiful than I remember."

"Beg your pardon?" he asked, shaking his head in disbelief. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here for you, darling; I've missed you."

"Are you following me?"

"No, silly. I sent you that letter about the wampus. I knew you would come running if you thought a creature was hurt and needed help.

Newt was confused. "So does this mean there is no wampus?"

"No, precious, there is no wampus."

Newt looked down at the ground, a frown on his face. He looked up at Grindelwald with tears shimmering in his bright blue eyes. "I really wanted to see a wampus. They are such magnificent creatures. I already built a habitat for it in my case."

Grindelwald stared in horror at the sad magizoologist. He hated himself for making Newt cry. "I'm so sorry, darling. I just wanted to talk to you. I didn't mean to make you cry. Let's go find a wampus right now."

Newt shook his head in despair. "No, that's alright. I don't want to be a bother. What did you want to talk to me about?"

"I wanted to see you because I realized that you are my soul mate. We're meant to be together and I want you by my side as we rule the world, hand in hand," he said with a zealous gleam in his cold, dark eyes.

Newt took a careful step backward. Now that thoughts of the injured wampus had stopped occupying his mind, he realized he was in danger. Grindelwald was a powerful, dark wizard, who must also be insane if he thought Newt was his soul mate.

"You think I'm your soul mate? Why?"

"You were the only one who saw through my mask. You saw the real me," he said, referring to the time he impersonated Percival Graves. "We're going to be amazing together. Once we have subdued the inferior, we can release your creatures. They can live out in the open without fear. I'll kill anyone who hurts any creature. They'll be safe and protected."

Newt nodded as he thought of a way to call for help. Mr. Graves had given him a thunderbird pendant that acted as a distress signal. He slipped his hand into his pocket and activated it. Now, he just had to play for time until help arrived.

"While I agree that these wonderful creatures should be allowed to roam free, I'm afraid I don't want to rule the world as you say. I don't think that muggles are inferior to witches and wizards."

The dark wizard looked at him fondly. "I know you have a kind heart, dearest. You are also too modest. You are far superior to muggles, witches, and wizards. You are the best person I have ever met. You wouldn't have captured my heart if you weren't the best."