❅ Chapter Twenty-Four: Bittersweet

Jaemin's eyebrows knit together once he feels the sudden heat of the sun burning his face, uncomfortable as a groan escapes his lips.

Just as he was about to open his eyes, an entity blocks the sunlight from burning his face. Squirming a bit on the spot, he finally flutters his eyes open in a slow and careful motion.

He was surprised to be met with Jeno's heavy gaze on him. As if he has been staring at him for a long time.

The blond haired boy was side-sitting just beside Jaemin's body, facing the latter as he slightly hovers to block the sunlight.

Doe eyes stare at him intently yet kindly at the same time, however Jaemin just woke up and he isn't really the type of person to be... Nice the first few seconds.

"Did you even sleep?" He couldn't help but make a remark, a small scoff was followed as he tries to fully wake himself up.

"A little bit." Jeno softly replies, the same tone he had just a moment ago before they took a nap. "I woke up a few minutes ago."

"Why didn't you wake me up then? Didn't you say you will?" Jaemin asks, confused at the moment.

Jeno purses his lips before simply shrugging his shoulders, "you seemed really sleepy and I felt bad last minute. So I let you sleep for a bit more..."

When Jaemin didn't respond immediately, he quickly adds. "I'm sorry, hyung." Looking down, a bit ashamed for what he did. Which was harmless.

Giving him a weird look, Jaemin thinks for a second before sighing, "it's fine. At least you didn't run away or something and left me here."

The blond haired boy perks up and chuckles, "why would I do that?" As if Jaemin is being ridiculous right now. "You're my fiancé."

"I wouldn't do anything to hurt you, hyung." He says aloud with his whole heart and soul, accompanied with his sweet smile that has his eyes forming into crescent moons.

For some odd reason, it has Jaemin's gut feeling weird. In both good and bad ways.

Everything on how and what Jeno said to him was so sweet, it pulled something in his heart that he thinks is annoying.

But then, there was something else underlying it. Like, it was almost a sad reference to something Jaemin has no clue of.

Bittersweet, perhaps?

Regardless, Jaemin thinks he is going to vomit from this irritating feeling in him.

And then it dawns on him; this is the same exact feeling he has been getting since... Probably from what he guesses, their first date.

It hits him like a bullet (speaking from experience), the feeling he has been trying to shake off doesn't completely go away.

It lingers.

It always comes back no matter what, whether Jaemin ignores it for a minute or a day, it will creep back in him.

He can't control it, nor shrug it off. And he matter-of-a-factly can't ignore it fully as it definitely bothers and confuses him.

What makes matters worse is that this particular and peculiar feeling increases when Jeno is there.

Have I gone mad?

Blinking out of his thoughts, he slightly flinches when Jeno suddenly reaches his fingers towards his face.

He covers it up though with a weird look on his face as he lets the younger boy do what he wants while observing his movements of course.

I swear if he does some weird ass shit, I'm pulling my pocket knife out and call backup.

Jeno's boney fingers gets closer until his fingertips brushes against Jaemin's jawline, "you have a sharp jawline, hyung." He mumbles out.

He traces his fingers on the side of Jaemin's face for a few seconds before trailing up while scanning his face.

His eyebrows then furrow in wonder as his eyes set on something, trailing his fingers up to that spot and gently rubs a thumb on it in circles.

Just as Jaemin felt his touch on his temple, he lets out a wince that startles the younger boy. "Hyung?" Jeno calls out in full concern.

"Are you okay?"

"My head just hurts." Jaemin grumbles a second later and shuts his eyes, reaching his own fingers to pinch between his eyebrows.

Suddenly, his hand was pulled away from Jeno's loose grip. The blond haired boy looking very worried for his fiancé as he says, "it's probably from the heat. It's hot out at this hour."

"What time even is it?"

"It's 3 o' clock." Jeno answers while twisting his upper body around to reach for something.

"Oh of course it is." Jaemin mutters to himself while rolling his eyes. A big regret of his the second he winces in pain again from the action.

Jeno rushes to his aid and hands out a bottle of water, "don't get dehydrated, hyung. It'll make things worse." Helping Jaemin sit up from his position.

The ravenette boy gulps down the bottle of water, refreshed afterwards. "Is it really bad?" Jeno asks once he was finished, eyeing him carefully.

Jaemin shakes his head in response, "not yet." Mumbling his words, Jeno nods back to him.

"Okay, well... Don't take any medicines yet. Just see if it goes away later, keep drinking water. But if it's still there and it's worse, then you can take them." Jeno rambles to him.

All Jaemin could do was nod blankly, certain thoughts running in his mind at what just happened.

He's so confused everytime he's with Jeno, it drives him insane.

Like deadass. Everytime their "dates" are finished, the moment Jaemin steps back in the house, he has this aura around him.

Mark had pointed it out and at first, Jaemin thought he was just being stupid again and took this as an opportunity to tease him for "being soft" because of Lee Jeno.

But then he realized it too. Yuta, Mark and even some of their peers when Jaemin is called for a certain time as a backup or something, have noticed it as well.

Jeno's voice breaks his thoughts, "we should go then, so you can get some rest too, Jaemin hyung."

He neatly arranged everything back in the picnic basket, helping Jaemin stand up as they both took the pillows and blanket and walked off to the car.

"Bittersweet" lmaooo old book reference 💀

Thoughts??