❅ 𝑪𝒉𝒂𝒑𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒆: 𝑼𝒏𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒇𝒆𝒔𝒔𝒊𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒍

"What do you mean 'no'?" Johnny almost exclaims yet tries to hold himself back from yelling at the younger boy.

Everyone in the room can tell, his voice was still higher than how he 'calmly' talks.

Jaemin purses his lips and shrugs his shoulders, "I'm not doing this mission, boss." He firmly says - elaborating a bit to make the others understand what he meant.

Johnny stares at him, his left eye twitching while he grips on the folder he was about to hand them after his announcement.

"And why not?" Eyes boring into Jaemin's soul, his voice slowly deepening as the others are completely silent, as if they're holding their breaths to what's about to come.

The raven haired boy tries to maintain eye contact with the underboss whilst Yuta beside him was nudging him on the knee with his.

"I'm not fond with them, not even their kids." Was Jaemin's answer to Johnny's question.

As the elder boy was about to ask him again, Jaemin seems to predict it and then immediately adds. "Even if it's just faking it to get them close to us, I find them annoying."

"Don't we all?" Yuta mutters beside him, to which everyone else heard. Looking up, he shrugs his shoulders at them, "come on, don't act like we don't find any of these targets annoying."

Some responded with a nod of agreement while others chose to stay silently agree anyway- most of them were sitting near Johnny.

"Back to the point everyone." The underboss glares at them, before looking back at Jaemin who sat there calmly.

"Jaemin, I get that you don't want to do this. But if it's really because you're not fond of them, that's ridiculous and not an excuse. Consider yourself going through probation." Johnny strictly said.

The others widen their eyes as whispers start to fill the meeting room whilst Jaemin looked mortified. Mark who's across from him, gently kicks his shin to gain his attention.

Once receiving it, he gives the younger boy a look. Almost a warning as if he's trying to help Jaemin right now - which he is.

"You know what that means." He mumbles at him.

Fortunately, Jaemin manages to hear his words, and gulps audibly. Sending a small nod in response as he starts pondering in thought of what he should do next.

Should he keep saying 'no' over a target he's not fond of - which is considered silly in their team, because face it, majority of their targets aren't really passing their vibe check.

Or should he just accept the mission and look at the bright side of it despite who he's facing soon enough?

He then decides on the latter once Yuta whispers to him, "dude, don't turn this down. This could be your opportunity and show them you can be more than just a small associate."

And the elder boy's right. Jaemin can never lie about that fact.

Jaemin is an associate, a favorite one at that, meaning there's a lot of faith in him most of the time.

And he's proven that.

But he also needs to prove that he can be more than an associate, more than driving the car around, helping them lead to their targets - or vice versa, being the 'doctor' and etcetera.

Jaemin wants more. He wants to be the best than he can ever be, he wants to be known for more than just the favorite associate.

Of course he's grateful of what he has now, it's always been an honor to be in 'Green Enigma'.

However, they've told him time and time again that he has the potential to be more.

And he agrees. He likes challenges, he likes to test himself and get used to things. He may not look like a competitive type of person, but he is.

He's in for it now.

"I change my mind," he croaks out and abruptly stands up with his hands on the table.

Johnny eyes him in both a warningly and observantly manner. Testing him.

"Oh? So soon?" It's like he's teasing the younger boy right now, but Jaemin doesn't put his mind into it.

"Yes, I-I didn't know what I was thinking just a second ago," he shamelessly semi lies to their underboss.

"But after what you said, I realized I was wrong and..." Trailing off, Jaemin swallows hard. Taking a deep breath as Johnny's gaze only hardens.

"And?" The underboss urges him, getting impatient by the second. "If you're very sure of your previous answer and you don't want to do it, I can just hand it to som-"

"I was almost throwing away an opportunity to prove myself to you guys that I can be more and I can be the best, just like you guys kept encouraging me about." Jaemin rambles, interrupting Johnny.

The elder boy goes quiet, letting Jaemin continue as he listens carefully with his arms crossed.

"And you were right, I shouldn't just turn down some assignment just because I don't like the people we're going after. It's ridiculous and unprofessional." Jaemin said.

For a moment, nobody spoke up, and Jaemin began thinking he's too late, Johnny's mad at him and he's going to be in probation due to his childish reasons.

But he lets out a sigh of relief when Johnny hums accompanied by a small yet satisfied nod, a brow raised at him. "I want to hear it from you, Na Jaemin." He pauses.

"Are you in for it?"

"Yes, boss. I'll participate in this assignment alongside with Lee Minhyung and Nakamoto Yuta against our new targets, the Lee clan." The raven haired boy answers, almost in a robotic way.

But it's enough for Johnny to grin at him happily, "that's great, I knew you wouldn't disappoint us even before the mission started." Joking a little.

The other members soon gather up the courage to laugh along once they felt that the atmosphere in the room has slowly gone back to normal.

Nodding, Jaemin stretches his dry lips into a small smile. "Of course boss, my apologies for that earlier."

Humming, the elder boy clasps his hands together and scans everyone in the room, "well, since that's all settled. Let me tell you what the plan is." He grins mischievously.