Part 5 Chapter 3

tw: mentions of death

"Okay. Okay." Scott took a deep breath. He swallowed, hard. He gripped his steering wheel. "Okay. Okay. Okay." His words came out unfamiliar.

Scott placed his hands flat on his suit jacket, trying to smooth it down.

"Okay. Okay." Another deep breath. "Okay."

He hand fell to the car door handle. He sat for a moment, steadying his breathing.

"Okay...okay...okay."

He pushed the door open. He saw his reflection on his car window as he got out. His eyes were dark. He messed with his hair, tossling it around. He was too stressed to worry about his hair gel that morning.

Marisa's house was across the street. He winced as he stepped up to it, spotting the doorbell camera. He probably looked like a mess.

He knocked on the door.

Marisa's mother opened it after a few minutes. She called down Marisa, who stepped outside dressed, and ready to go.

All in black.

"Hey, Scott...?" she frowned. She glanced behind him, like she was looking for someone. "Why are you...here?" She looked around again. "Is O with you?"

He was confused. "No. I came to get her."

Marisa frowned even more. She pointed inside. "Get her from...here?"

"Yeah. Is she ready?"

She blinked. "What?"

"Is Ophelia ready?" he repeated. He felt bad that he sounded so impatient, but he was. He wanted the day to be over with already.

Marisa looked over him, like she hadn't expected him to come to her house. Because she hadn't. She told him, "Ophelia's not here."

He was hit with a shot of nervousness. "She left already?" Why didn't she tell him that?

Marisa looked really confused now. "No. She didn't leave. She was never here. I haven't seen her in two weeks, what are you talking about?"

Scott paled. His face fell so fast that Marisa thought he was going to be sick.

"You-You haven't...You haven't seen her?"

Marisa shook her head. She asked, "Did she say I did?"

Scott stumbled back.

The girl was concerned now. "Did she say she came here today?"

Scott took a shaky breath. "She said she's been at your house for three days."

Marisa's mouth fell open.

"She hasn't been staying with you?" he asked, panicked.

"No!" Marisa said. Her face was struck with worry. "I literally haven't seen her."