Part 4 Chapter 1a

tw: mentions of sexual assault

*one month later*

"Jesus Christ. Is there anything more disgusting than a teenage boys room?"

Jessica reached down, picking up used bowls off of the floor next to Justin's bed. They both still had milk in them. The smell made it seem like they had been there for a while.

She plopped them in the counter, gagging as some milk spilt out onto her hand.

Ophelia laughed as she finished vacuuming the floor. "Maybe a twelve year old boy's room."

Justin and Clay were definitely old enough to be keeping their rooms clean by now. Alas, that is not what happened.

Jessica looked around the room. "I expected Clay's side to be better. But it's just as bad. Is he alright, Ani?"

Ani had been hanging a banner on the ceiling.

The banner, decorated by the three of them, read, 'WELCOME HOME JUSTIN'.

Ophelia was proud of how well the letters and colors turned out. It had taken them a full week to make.

Ani stopped for a moment, looking down at Jessica.

"Yeah...Yeah, he's fine." Ani sounded unsure. Even more so when she finished hanging the banner, hopped down, and noticed even more dirty dishes on the floor. She sighed, plopping them onto the counter. "He's stellar."

Jessica saw the exhaustion in her eyes. "Do you love him? Or are you just taking care of him?" Ani and Clay were dating now. Not that Ophelia was surprised. She honestly thought they had been dating already.

Ani crossed her arms defensively. "Uh, don't we take care of the people we love?"

Jessica raised her hands in surrender. "Of course. You're right. Trust me, I know it can be a little draining sometimes." Jessica turned around, nodding at Ophelia. "You're the smart one, Ophelia. You're staying single."

A small laugh came from Ophelia's mouth.

"Speaking of single," Ani began. She treaded carefully. "And, now, I don't mean go bringing up anything you're uncomfortable with, but, have you been speaking with Zach at all? As in, do you know what he's been up to?"

Ophelia felt her heart drop at her words. It was so obvious what she was hinting at.

His sudden change and drastic behavior.

"I haven't really been talking to him. Actually, not at all since winter break started." She didn't call him to check up on him. Not after the first time he told her to leave him the fuck alone. "But...I do know what he's been up to. I don't know if we'd be considered the same kind of single."

There was never a time in her whole life of knowing Zach that Ophelia thought he could spiral out of control. But that's exactly what this was. Zach used to have the kind of morals that most high school athletes didn't have. He was the good guy, he stood out from the rest. And Ophelia had loved him for it.

Zach was different now.

After Thanksgiving break, Zach must have finally sobered up enough to realize Ophelia was serious about them breaking up. They were done, for good as far as he knew.

He...did not take the news well.

The bottle never seemed to leave his hand. Neither did his phone. He would constantly be posting pictures of different kind of alcohol on his story, and different parties he went to.