Part 4 Chapter 12a

tw: violence, heavy drug usage

Grief was weird.

Love was weird too.

And anger.

And hate.

All emotions seemed weird to Ophelia. They were all confusing, all misleading sometimes. Why did she feel all of those things, grief, love, anger, and hate, while thinking of Montgomery?

There's always just one emotion she could fully trust was real when she felt it.

Happiness. You can mistake love, but how can you mistake happiness?

It was so easy to get to sometimes. Granted, it may only last a fleeting second, but you could still force it.

Like, taking a bite of ice cream. Before you worry about the calories, or the brain freeze, or the stomach ache, or how unhealthy it is...ice cream is always nice the first bite.

Just like the happiness you get from your first sip of iced coffee. Everything is blended to perfection, none of the ingredients are sucked at the bottom yet. A perfect first sip of coffee will make someone happier than they think.

And Ophelia had been chasing happiness lately. With all her heart.

So why not start with a cup of iced coffee?

"You sure you're ready for this?" Ophelia asked Scott. The handles of the stroller were in her hands. "I tried taking him for a walk yesterday with my mom. As soon as I was out of his sight he started crying. Which is weird, right? I used to be out of his sight everyday."

"I promise I can handle it," Scott said. "And, hey, you used to be out of my sight everyday too, but I'd get bummed if it happened now."

She smiled at him. She glanced down at the stroller.

"I know this is probably the anxious teenager is me but...Scott, I get so embarrassed when he cries in public. Everyone looks at me and-"

"Ophelia, babies cry all the time," he told her. "It's okay."

She just nodded. "Yeah. Yeah. You're right." She took a deep breath. "Okay."

Ophelia and Scott decided to take a trip down to Monet's. Ophelia pushed JT in his stroller down the bumpy sidewalk, Scott behind her, terrified one of the bumps would somehow throw the infant out. When they got to Monet's, Scott held the door open so that Ophelia could get the stroller inside. The atmosphere was loud, but luckily JT didn't stir. That was the good thing about him staying at the hospital for so long. He was already used to the loud voices of visitors and beeping of machines.

"See, he's not a crier," Scott tried to say.

"Oh, he's a crier," Ophelia insisted as they got in line. "Just because he's 'perfect' when Scott comes over, doesn't mean he's not a crier. He just pretends for you."