Part 4 Chapter 11b

tw: mentions of past toxic relationships, brief mentions of past sexual assault

"Are you ready for your college interviews today?" Scott asked, picking up Ophelia in the morning.

He noticed her nice outfit. A pretty skin and dark brown cardigan that brought out the beauty of her dark eyes.

She hopped in with a smile, and shrugged. "I'm actually not doing college interviews."

He frowned. "Why not?"

"Because I'm going to Sanderson," Ophelia said, with an even bigger smile. "I had an interview with the Dean already on the school tour, remember? I'm pretty much set."

Scott pulled out of her driveway, driving her to school. "Yeah but...what if you go to Sanderson and don't like it?" He was worried that Sanderson wasn't a good enough school for Ophelia.

He wanted her there, obviously. But what if she didn't like it?

"I'll like it," Ophelia said, surely. "And, I want to go to school nearby. And it'll be nice going with you and Just-" Ophelia suddenly stopped herself. She reworded, "...it'll be nice going with you."

She almost mentioned Justin. She was glad she caught herself.

Only three days had passed since Ophelia found out the truth about Montgomery. The truth about the group. It still felt like second nature for Justin to be her best friend and she kept having to remind herself that he...wasn't.

He wasn't her best friend anymore.

"I don't think you should go to a school just for me," Scott said. "What if we broke up? I'd feel terrible."

Ophelia frowned. She side eyed him. "Break up?"

"Obviously, I don't want that," he told her. "But...we just started dating, you know."

Ophelia had two horrible past relationships, with boyfriends that ended up being horrible for her. But even those boyfriends never wanted to break up. And they never brought it up so casually.

Ophelia hesitated, wondering why Scott was worried about this. "Did I...do something, Scott?"

"What?"

"Why are you thinking like that?" Break up? She didn't want him just bringing that topic up.

"I'm not thinking like that," he said. "I'm just trying to, you know...you know."

Ophelia stared at him. "I don't know. What?"

"I want you to keep your options open."

She stared at him and spoke with sudden attitude, "In case you break up with me?"

"Woah!" Scott said, acting like he just threatened to kill him. He looked at her. "Ophelia, you do not need to be worried about me breaking up with you, it's the other way around."