52 | his dark past

Sunghoon's POV

"Now you saw it yourself that I was not lying." Brandon muttered, his voice filled with amusement and distaste. I braced myself for Thea to judge me since I had indeed done a heinous crime for which even I had not forgiven myself.

I had let my confidence blind me, my ego restricting me to see past my younger self who thought he could achieve anything after being on a continuous streak of completing all the missions given to him.

"You fucking idiot—" I heard Thea speak through gritted teeth, her voice dangerously calm like an ocean just before it wrecked havoc on a ship. "Why didn't you tell me about this before?" She asked, pain evident in her voice which gave away that she was hurt.

"It was a disaster, you know?" Brandon spoke up loudly, his voice almost booming through out the silent room, while others just stood there watching the entire drama where I was being humiliated. "Death of five adults and a kid because of a blast, disgraceful."

I just hung my head down in shame, the familiar feeling of guilt weighing down upon me.

That day was horrifying for me. I barely survived the blast and after waking up in the hospital, it took weeks for Heeseung to make sure I wasn't going to take any rash decisions against myself.

It affected me. It affected me so much that for an entire year, I had nightmares about that accident almost every other day, completely messing up my mental health. I couldn't even fall asleep before that scene played in front of my eyes like a video clip, reminding me of my greatest failure.

If it wasn't for Heeseung and Mr. Brown being there for me, I wouldn't have been here today.

"You know what is more disgraceful that that?" Thea spoke up in cold contempt as if she was spitting venom. "You. You have no right to tell him what he should be ashamed of when you are here working with the criminals to kill the good and honest people in this agency; that too purposely." She spat, her voice rising steadily.

I looked up at her in shock, only to see her jaws clenched as she internally fought the urge to attack Brandon right then and there. If this was fantasy, saying that there was literal fire in her eyes due to anger would have been very appropriate.

"Oh, so you are supporting him?" He asked, his eyebrow arched. Thea threw her head back and let out a sinister laugh which made his confidence visibly falter.

"We all make mistakes, Brandon. At least he has made up to it by saving more lives and regretting for what he did." She stated, glancing at me for a second before looking back at him. "Being the bad cop is much better than being the criminal, Smith. And I don't think there is anyone who will deny that." She added, tilting her head slightly and looking at the latter with narrowed eyes.

Okay, you know what? I love this lady standing here.

I smiled to myself, knowing Thea had actually chosen to believe that I was a better person now than I was before.

"Don't be too happy, Dipshit. I am still going to slap you for not telling me this." She muttered, playfully kicking me in the shin but unfortunately, the force was still the same as she would kick me if I ran away with her food.

Which was, indeed, quite painful.

"Fair enough." I whispered, my face scrunching up in pain.

"Brandon, don't waste your time arguing with them. They just don't want to admit their crimes." Anderson finally spoke from behind, probably fed up of watching the long-ass drama without any popcorn.

"You are right, sir." He said, walking towards me and unexpectedly punching me in the gut, the pain making me double over.

"How dare you!" Thea yelled, jumping up with her cuffed hands supporting her by applying pressure on the buffed guy's arm behind her such that both of her legs were in the air right in front of Brandon, kicking him so hard that it made him stumble and fall down on the ground. The sudden attack made both the dudes behind us focus on Thea, giving me an opportunity to jerk my cuffed hands free from their grip and back-kick one of them in the groin.

"Ouch." I muttered, trying to free my hands out of the cuffs while Thea enjoyed her time kicking the daylights out of the second buffed guy. She moved her hands a bit which were tied behind her back and then lifted them up in the air, bringing them to her front.

Flexibility at it's peak, I tell you.

Thea's POV

I was busy choking someone with the help of the cuffs in my hand when out of the corner of my eye I noticed Yonghwa walk into the room slightly dazed, his hand massaging his neck where I had hurt him.

"Yonghwa help me get my cuffs off!" I yelled, knowing that he was the only one here who would actually believe us if persuaded.

"Why should I even believe you?" He shouted back, slightly furious. "You knocked me over there and now my neck hurts like bitch." He added, his hand still attached to his neck.

"But I didn't kill you, did I? Isn't that enough?" I asked him, crouching down to avoid Brandon's incoming punch.

"I'm not a fool, Rivera." He stated, but his body language told me that though he was denying, he wanted to believe me.

"Come on, Kim! You have known me long enough!" I heard Sunghoon add to the argument from the other side of the room, busy dodging Anderson's attacks since with his hands tied behind, it was harder for him to fend them off than in my case.

Yonghwa let out a soft groan in frustration, covering his face with his hands and giving it a thought.

"If I'm wrong, I'm making the worst decision of my life." He said, quickly jogging over to me when suddenly music started blaring through the speakers, making everyone stop and look around to see the source.

Heeseung, I fucking love you for doing this at the perfect time.