28 | a chase to death

Thea's POV

"You guys got this, right?" Jay asked, motioning at me and Sunghoon while my associate was busy fixing his earpiece. We were standing beside the car in the parking lot, about to leave this place.

"We got this, don't worry." I assured him, smiling. He nodded, giving me a small smile.

"Okay, we are all set. Let's go." Sunghoon announced, grabbing my attention. I nodded and turned around, opening the car door and sitting beside the driver's seat. After a few seconds Sunghoon got in the driver's seat and started the engine.

I turned my head around to look at Jay and gave a small nod towards him, to which he showed a thumbs up and nodded back.

"You want to do something before we leave?" Sunghoon asked while looking at me, clearly referring to the exchange of nods which had just happened. I shook my head at his question, motioning him to go ahead. He hummed in response and hit the gas pedal, driving us out of the parking lot. The concrete roof was soon replaced by the night sky, making the interior of the car dark, the interior dimly illuminated by the light coming from the dashboard.

I bent forward and switched on the GPS, both of us switching on our ear pieces soon after.

"Hello?" I said loudly, breaking the silence in the car.

"Yes, Agent Rivera. I'm here." Brandon immediately spoke up after I had called out. I turned my head around to look at Sunghoon, who gave a sharp nod, indicating me to go ahead.

"We are heading towards Naruto city, hoping to find some lead there. I have sent you our route." I said, checking again whether the location given was right. The line went silent, and after a long pause a hum in response was heard.

"It's quite a long drive around three hours. Anyways don't worry, I'll be here in case something goes wrong." He answered from the other side of the call. I nodded to myself and turned off my ear piece, while Sunghoon continued to drive.

━━━━━(🍂)━━━━━

We have been travelling in silence for past ninety minutes, only the sound of the engine being heard as the car drove ahead in full speed. I was staring outside into the night sky, mentally preparing myself for the future since it was going to be very hectic.

I was lost in my thoughts when suddenly I felt someone tapping their finger on my lap, trying to grab my attention. I turned my head around and saw Sunghoon glancing at the rear-view after every few seconds while driving ahead.

I understood that something was wrong. I turned around to look behind and saw a black car following us, the headlights turned off to merge with the dark surroundings. If it wasn't for the dim moonlight illuminating everything with a silvery-glow, the car might as well have looked invisible at some point.

"Brandon, we are being followed." Sunghoon spoke into his earpiece, while I opened the glove box and took out my gun.

"Shit! That's really not g" He spoke from the other side, but before we could hear him completely gunshots echoed in the air, the loud sound cutting off the rest of his sentence for us.

Author's POV

Brandon sat in front of his computer, Thea's and Sunghoon's voice coming over from a speaker which was kept beside his computer. Gunshots were clearly heard from it, along with the agents communicating loudly with each other to make themselves heard over the loud commotion.

"Drive faster!" He heard Thea yell, followed by the sound of more gunshots.

"Fuck! There's another car behind us!" Sunghoon shouted, his voice clearly depicting that he was worried. Suddenly, a loud sound of glass shattering was heard through the speaker, making Brandon slightly wince at the sudden noise.

"Guys, are you alright?" He quickly asked, trying to act worried but internally he was overjoyed to see them in trouble.

After all, the entire point was to kill them, wasn't it?

"Everything is going sideways. There are a lot many people I don't think we both can handle them." Sunghoon replied, his voice barely audible over the loud noise. 

"Come on, you guys have to make it." Brandon encouraged them before a very loud sound of something bursting was heard. His eyes furrowed, curious what had made the sound. A loud screeching of tyres was heard over the speaker, confirming his suspicions.

"Goddamn it! One of our tyres is busted!" He heard Thea exclaim, the sound of screeching adding to the already loud commotion which was a mixture of gunshots and yells.

"Brandon, we are not going to make" Sunghoon said, but before he could finish his sentence a very loud splash was heard and the line went dead. The male sat still in his place, waiting if he could hear Sunghoon's voice again, or even Thea's. But unfortunately, both of the lines were dead.

He turned to his computer to check their location. The small red dot which pin-pointed the location of their car was blinking right next to the bridge, in the water. He quickly grabbed his phone, calling the contact on the top of his call-log.

"Is it done?" He asked, his heart racing while he waited for the reply from the other side.

"The car fell into the river" He said, before a loud explosion and a splash was heard in his background, causing him to stop mid sentence.

"What was that?" Brandon quickly asked, wondering if everything was alright.

"Their car just exploded underwater. I'm pretty sure they were in it when it did."