12 | nightmare

Sunghoon's POV

"Trust important, people framed? That's a very weak base to build anything on top of it." I said, as soon as Thea told me the entire scene which had happened after I had left to capture the sniper but in vain. We had already reached into our room and changed into our casual dresses.

"I know. But it does make sense in context of what Mr. Haruno was saying in the beginning." Thea said, sitting on the edge of the bed beside me while thinking. "The supervisors are being influenced to eliminate the agents working under them. Maybe they are influenced because those agents are somehow framed in the eyes of the supervisor?" She asked, turning her head around to look at me. I nodded, agreeing to her theory because in my perspective, it actually made sense.

"But where is trust coming from here? We are supposed to trust our supervisors, or the agents?" I asked, before sighing in disappointment as I saw no light in this situation.

"I'm not sure. I don't think we should trust everyone as early as now because our movements are constantly being followed, which is not a good sign." Thea said, slowly shaking her head to herself. I hummed in response, silence filling the room as we thought about it for around thirty minutes, trying to figure out something.

"Thea?" I called out, waiting for the latter to reply. Upon hearing no response from her, I turned my head around and saw her staring down at the floor in deep thoughts, her hand subconsciously playing with the tags of the military dog tag she was wearing. I slightly shook her shoulder, to which she looked up at me with a start as if broken from a trance.

"Did you think of something?" She asked, curious. I shook my head, to which she just nodded and went back thinking.

"Are you alright? You look a bit shaken." I asked, bending my head down to look at her face. She sighed, shrugging her shoulders.

"I just saw someone die in my hands, maybe it has left me shaken." She said, not sure if it was exactly what the reason was. I noticed that she was lying, since it's very common for an agent to kill some people during their mission and Thea was just as experienced as me. It was nearly impossible for one casualty to shake her up that much, unless there was more to it.

I decided it would be worthless to question her more, since we had a bigger task at our hand already.

━━━━━(🍂)━━━━━

I was having a hard time falling asleep, four words running around my mind and keeping me awake. I was making up theories with the hint as the base, but all of them reached to a dead end after I asked some questions to myself on the basis of those constructed theories.

Giving up over the thought of sleeping, I sat up straight on my bed when suddenly I heard someone sniffling.

"What the—" I muttered, standing up straight in alert. I lit my bedside lamp, which dimly illuminated the room and the objects in it.

I noticed Thea shifting in her place, her knees bent and close to her stomach. Wondering if she was cold or not, I walked over to her bed and stopped right there after seeing the scene in front of me.

She was sobbing silently, while hugging a pillow beside her really close to herself, almost cradling it. One of her hands caressed the top of the pillow which was close to her face, as if she was caressing someone's face while holding that person in her arms.

The fact that she was behaving like this while fast asleep blew my mind. Her hand grabbed a fistful of the pillow cover gently and held it as if it was someone's hand, her entire body almost shielding the pillow, acting like someone might attack it any moment. Her movements looked so vivid, it seemed that she was re-enacting a event which had occurred in her past.

"Please lord, not him." She spoke softly, still crying hard. I suddenly realised that in her nightmare, she was actually holding a dead body of her loved one.

My heart ached for her and surely anyone in my place would feel such. I quietly walked up closer to her, determined to wake her up from the nightmare when suddenly I froze in my tracks, after hearing what she said next.

"Eugene, you idiot. Why did you do this?" She muttered, sobbing harder than ever and burying her face in the pillow, her cries muffling.

She was crying over the death of a person who was the owner of the necklace she wears.