12

GAR WAS PERPLEXED BY RYAN

GAR WAS PERPLEXED BY RYAN. He didn't understand how one minute she was on the brink of a metal breakdown and the next was acting as if it never happened. He wished he could see inside her head for only a moment.

" Kissing is a completely normal thing to do. " Ryan states, carrying on with the previous conversation. " It is also really fun. " She adds, expecting Gar to agree. Surely he had kissed at least one girl but he simply stares at the floor, blushing profusely.

" That's what I'm saying. " Kory adds, shooting Gar a quick look but he doesn't return it. There was a subtle smirk on her face as her and Ryan shared a chuckle, finding the boy's embarrassment amusing. Her expression suddenly goes cold as she spots something in her peripheral vision. " Stay here. " She says and before the two teens could ask where she was going, she had already shot up and was walking down the aisle.

" Do you always get this way when people talk about kissing? " Ryan asks, turning a bit to face the boy. His face was still red and his foot was tapping so aggressively that his shoes were squeaking.

" What way? " He asked, innocently.

" The red face, the foot tapping, the eye contact avoiding. " She listed off, tipping her head down to be in his peripheral vision. " Your innocence is sweet...and cute. " She complimented, a small smile growing on her face. At her words Gar let out an awkward chuckle and reached out for the remaining glass of bourbon. He swallowed it in mere moments before letting out groan, his face contorting in disgust. " Damn, watching you drink is making me miss it more than usual. "

" Why can't you drink? " Gar asked, more than happy to take the attention off of himself.

" The pills that I take don't mesh very well with alcohol. " She explained. " It took me a couple of blacked out nights and bad decisions to really understand that, but I do now. "

" Why do you need to take those pills? " Gar asked, caution in his voice. He wasn't sure if he was overstepping any boundaries. " You don't have to answer that if you don't to, by the way. "

" No, no, it's fine. " She said, giving a shrug. " I have pretty bad, um, anxiety and depression and other stuff like that. The pills are suppose level me out. "

" Do they help you? "

" A little but they definitely aren't perfect. I still have a bit of.....issues. " She said, eliciting a chuckle. " But Bruce says it is better than not having them. " Ryan gave a nod as she spoke, twiddling with her thumbs as she did.

" You know if you ever need to talk, or anything. Just let me know. " Gar offered, causing Ryan to smile at him. " I-I know we don't know each other that well but I can help. I want to help. "

" Thank you. "

SILENCE HAD FALLEN ON the group after the teens' conversation. The alcohol had definitely had an affect on Gar and he had fallen asleep on Ryan's shoulder. She had offered her shoulder once she noticed that Gar's head was spinning. With another blush growing on his face, he accepted. His green hair brushed against the crook of her neck. She looked down at the boy, her heart skipping a beat. He looked so peaceful, his chest slowly rising and falling. She could hear his slowed heart beat. She was jealous of him, everyone who was able to find that kind of peace. Even the couple hours of sleep she did get, she tossed and turned all night.

" Ladies and gentlemen, please remain seated. We'll be stopping briefly due to a minor inconvenience. It will just be a few moments. Thank you for your patience. " The announcer's voice boomed throughout the speakers. Ryan's eyes settled on Kory, a frantic look on her voice.

" Wake him up. " She said, pointing down at the male. " We have to find Angela and Rachel. Come on! " Ryan nodded at her women's, and gently shook the male awake.

" Come on, get up, we have to go now. " Ryan said, causing Gar to sit up and look at his counterpart with a confused look on his face. Without another word, she grabs his hand and pulls him up from his seat so they could trail behind Kory.

" Wait, what's going on? " Gar grumbled, stumbling behind the women.

" I don't know. " Ryan answered as she tightened her grip on his hand, not wanting him to trail far behind.

" Keep moving. " Kory called over her shoulder, a worried expression glued on her face. The two teens shared a confused look, but continued on their way. It wasn't long till the trio found Angela, who was staring out of the window. " Where's Rachel? "

" She went to the bathroom. " Angela explained, startled by the group's sudden appearance. " Why? What's happening? "

" I need you to find Rachel, and then get them all off the train. " Kory whispered to Ryan, ignoring Angela's questions. " I will meet you out there. Just go down the road. "

" Okay but what the hell is going on. " She asked the older women, her eyes scanning the group's surroundings. What was Kory seeing that no one else was?

" Just go. " Kory demanded.

" Seriously, Kory, what the fuck is happening? "

" I'm serious, just go. There is no time to explain. " Ryan rolled her eyes at the orders but still obliged. She headed towards the bathroom, pulling Gar behind her and Angela following behind him. It wasn't long till the group reached the bathroom.

" Rachel! " Ryan called out, banging on the wooden door. " Get out, we have to get off the train now. " She added, and soon Rachel appeared from behind the door.

" Is everyone okay? " Rachel asked, worry on her face. " Where's Kory? "

" Doesn't matter right now, we have to go. " The older teen said, motioning for Rachel to exit the bathroom and join the group. Rachel's stomach turned at the sudden urgency but decided it was best if she did what she was told. A few more moments of searching pasted before the group find a door that wasn't crawling with FBI agents.

" The door's not opening. " Gar said, tugging on the metal handle.

" Move, I got this. " Ryan muttered, gently pushing him out of the way. With one good pull, the door flew open.

" Your strength will never not be cool. " An amused Gar said.

" Thanks. " Ryan responded. " Okay, everybody out. " Ryan motioned for everyone to go in front of her, and it was at this moment she noticed Gar's hand was still wrapped tightly around her own. She knew there as no time to pay attention to the butterflies in her stomach, so she simply let go and followed behind the group. Once they were outside, they were able to fully take in all of the damage Kory caused. Flames surrounded half of the train, and everyone was frantically running around.

" Holy shit. " Ryan muttered, before releasing a chuckle. " She is so cool. "

" You think this is cool? " Angela asked, curiosity in her voice.

" Yeah. " She shrugged. " It's not like anyone is dead, that I know of. "

" Kory said to meet her down the road. " Gar said, ignoring Ryan's peculiar reaction to the chaos that is around them.

" We can't just leave her. " Rachel says, glancing back at the train.

" She said go, so we go. " Gar retorts. " Pretty sure she can handle herself. "

" If she doesn't meet up with us soon, Rachel, I promise I will go back for her. " Ryan said, sharing a look with the younger teen.

" Okay, thank you. "

____________________________________
sorry this chapter feels so short, I really wanted to make sure to get one out this week.