11

RYAN'S HEAD LAID AGAINST the cold window

RYAN'S HEAD LAID AGAINST the cold window. She silently watched as the trees whizzed past, her thoughts racing just as a fast. It was normal for Ryan to feel some type of anxiety but ever since the asylum, something was different. She felt like there was something she had to remember, but couldn't. As if it was on the tip of her tongue but she couldn't fully reach it. It was frustrating her.

" No sugar added, vegan vanilla pudding. Designed to appeal to those seeking a gluten-free, low calorie dessert. " Gar's words pulled Ryan from her thoughts. He was reciting the menu. " Sounds healthy. "

" Sounds disgusting. " Kory retorts. Her hand was covering half her face. She was clearly bored out of her mind. A train horn blares in the background, causing Kory to give a slight jump. Her facial expression changed for a mere moment. Ryan's eyebrows raised as she watched the women.

" Hey, Kory. " She called out, causing her eyes to shoot up and meet her own. " Are you okay? " At her question, Gar momentarily looked up from the menu to look at the two women.

" Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. " She brushed the question off with a wave of her hand. " I'll be right back. " Kory added before pushing herself up from her chair and walking over to the bar. Ryan and Gar shared a confused look before bringing their attention back to the menu.

" Okay, let's skip all that vegan stuff. See if any parts of the menu actually seem good. " Ryan said, scooting closer to Gar. She placed her chin on his shoulder, her eyes scanning through all of the options. Gar stiffened for a moment at the physical contact, a wave of nerves washing over him. Her face was so close to his, so close. All he had to do was turn his head and he would be able to.... " Anything look good to you? " She asked, stopping his train of thoughts.

" Oh, uh, I don't know. I-I'm cool w-with whatever. I mean, y-you know me. I'll eat b-basically anything. " He stuttered, anxiously pointing at the various food options.

" Aren't you vegetarian? " She asked, glancing over at him for a moment.

" Y-yeah, I guess, I-I am. " He chuckled. " So, I'll eat anything except meat. " He added, looking back over at Ryan. The two teen paused for a moment once their eyes locked, Gar felt nauseous. Ryan finally felt calm.

Ryan snapped out of her trance once she heard Kory's heels, signaling her arrival. She quickly lifted her chin from Gar's shoulder and focused her attention back on Kory. She took note of the bourbon in her hand, and the exhausted look on her face. She was definitely not fine.
Gar wasn't noticing any of this, though, his eyes were still locked on Ryan's face. It wasn't until his phone beeped that he was pulled back to reality. " Rach just texted, her and Angela got seats up front. Let's go. "

" Let's not. " Kory quickly retorted, holding up a hand to stop Gar in his tracks.

" Y'know, this whole train thing sounded way funner this morning. " Gar muttered, a bummed expression on his face.

" Those two just deserve some time alone, okay? " Ryan said, giving a shrug. " But hey, we can still have fun. " She added, causing Gar's face to light up in excitement.

" We could play a game? "

THERE WERE ONLY SO many games that could be played on a train, and the two teens had already gone through all of them. Plus, it was obvious that all Kory craved was silence. Ryan had lost count of how many shots of bourbon she had gone through. Now the trio sat in silence. Ryan, once again, had her head laid against the window. She watched as the trees passed by, but suddenly she saw something. She squinted her eyes together, trying to see past the trees and hoping to slow the speed of the train. She let out a gasp and shot up from her seat once she saw what it was. It was one of the doctors from the asylum. He was the one that had been assigned to her. He was covered in blood, he had been beaten so badly he was barely recognizable.

" Woah, are you okay? " Gar asked, standing up from his seat as well.

" I-uh-I " Ryan sputtered out, turning to look back at the trees but the man was gone.

" Did you see something out there? " Kory asked, worry etched on her features.

" There-was-a- uh " She continued to stutter out as the two stared at her. She felt the horrors of what she had done, begin to wash over her once again.

" It's okay, Ryan, I promise. " Gar said, reaching a gentle hand out to her.

" It's not okay. " She snapped back, quickly backing away from him. " I-I got, uh, I gotta go to the bathroom. " She muttered before rushing off to find the bathroom. The two left behind shared a glance before slowly sitting back down in their seats. Confusion feeling the air.

" Did I say the wrong thing? " Gar asked. " Do you think she's mad at me now? "

" No, I don't think she is. " Kory responded.

" There has been something different about her since the asylum. I want to help her, I just don't know how. "

" Well, how would you want to be helped? I saw the blood on both of you, it seems as if you guys went through something similar. " Gar couldn't help but tense up at her words, the image of himself ripping the man apart forcing its way into his brain.

" I don't know. " Gar shrugged. " We seem pretty different. "

" I don't think so. " Kory retorted. " Yes, there are some obvious differences but you guys have more in common than you think. " She adds. Gar leans closer to the women, curious as to what he and Ryan could have in common. " You both have parts of you they you are trying to understand. You also have these powers that you are trying to overcome. It creates a connection between you two. "

Gar leaned back against his chair, processing what Kory had just told him. It was weird to him how someone as confident and cool as Ryan could have anything in common with him. Who knows, maybe she was right?

" You wanna make out with her, don't you? " Kory suddenly asked.

" What? No! " Gar exclaimed, rather abruptly. " We don't even know each other other like that. "

" It's perfect naturally. " Kory said, giving a shrug. " Kissing. Plus, I saw how cozy you guys were getting when I was getting my drink. "

" I'm not comfortable talking about this. " Gar stated, an awkward smile starting to grow on his face.

" You're getting agitated. " Kory let's out a chuckle in amusement.

" Yeah, you think? " Gar asks sarcastically, resulting in Kory releasing another chuckle. He glances down at the last bourbon shot. He points at it. " Can I have that? "

" Sure. Apparently it helps. " Kory says, as Gar quickly reaches for the shot and downs it. His face contorts in disgust as places the glass back down on the table.

" Does kissing really make you that uncomfortable? " Ryan asks, suddenly reappearing from the bathroom. After doing numerous breathing techniques she was able to calm herself down enough to rejoin the group. Gar jumped at her sudden appearance, causing Kory to smile in amusement.

" N-no, I-just-uh wanted to try this. " Gar retorted as Ryan made her way back to her seat. " Are you.... feeling better? "

" Yeah. " Ryan nodded. " I am. "