09

TO NO ONE'S SURPRISE, Ryan had another night of restless sleep

      TO NO ONE'S SURPRISE, Ryan had another night of restless sleep. She was able to get a solid four hours of sleep, instead of her usual two hours. So, at least that was something. As she saw the sun start to rise she decides it was time to get up. She rolls out of bed and makes her way to the bathroom. She lets out a huff as she stares at her reflection. She swore she could still see some blood in her hair but she, quickly, realized it was her mind playing tricks on her. She grabs her little pill bottle, takes two out, and swallows them dry. She takes one more look in the mirror before hastily pulls her hair up in a messy ponytail. With a grunt she exits the bathroom and makes her way down the stairs.

" Morning. " Ryan called out, once her eyes landed on Rachel.

" Good morning. " She responded, sending a small smile, before she focused back on making the scrambled eggs. Ryan made her way to the coffee maker, pressing the required buttons. She goes to grab a mug as the coffee drips. It wasn't long till Gar had joined the two in the kitchen, a yawn escaping his lips.

" Rach? " Gar says, clearly confused as to why she was up so early. This causes the girl to jump from the sudden noise, startled. Whilst this is occurring Ryan pours the coffee into her mug, not bothering with any cream or sugar. She turns to face the two, leaning up against the counter. " Hi, Ryan! " He says, a smile growing on his face as his eyes land on the other girl. She couldn't help but send a smile back.

" Hi, Gar. " She says, walking over to the table and taking a seat.

" You scared the shit out of me. " Rachel muttered, turning back to her cooking.

" There's irony here. " Gar retorts. " You're aware it's like, super early, right? " He asks.

" Yeah, " Rachel shrugs. " I wanted to make breakfast. " She adds, shyly. Ryan continues to sip from her mug as she watches the two.

" I already made some coffee, if you want some. " Ryan offers to Gar as she points over to the coffee pot. His eyes light up before he bounces over to grab a cup of his own.

" Awesome. " He says, before going about preparing his coffee. There is silence for a moment before Gar says, " So, Dick and Kory. "

" I know, don't say it. " Rachel says rather bluntly.

" At least someone is getting some. " Ryan says, giving a shrug. Her comment causes the two to briefly look over at the girl. " What? I mean, it's a good stress relief. " She adds. Her words make Gar's ears turn pink, in embarrassment, as a rather inappropriate image of Ryan pops in his head. He awkwardly clears his throat. Ryan can't help but chuckle at the other teens.

" Do you think its like thinking about your parents? " He asks, his features changing from embarrassment to disgust.

" I wouldn't know. " Rachel deadpans.

" Yeah, same. " Ryan adds with a nod. It isn't long until Angela arrives in the kitchen.

" Good morning. " She greets, her voice soft and warm. This causes the three to turn their attention towards her.

" Hi, mom. " Rachel says, a warm smile reappearing on her face.

" Hi, baby. " Angela replies, her eyes roaming her surroundings.

" I made breakfast. " Rachel announces, motioning towards the eggs she just made. It was sweet how proud she was.

" I can see that. " Ryan couldn't understand how Angela was adjusting so well. Just after spending half a night in the asylum, Ryan was ready to pull her hair out. She couldn't imagine how traumatized she would be after spending years there.

" Are you hungry? " Rachel asks.

" In a minute. " Angela says. " Five years, you uh- you could forget how beautiful a sunrise can be. " Angela breathes out, walking over to the large windows as she admired the sun that was just starting to be seen over the horizon. Rachel follows her and they both lean against the table. " Can I-can I put my arm around you? " Angela asks. Rachel, happily, nods her head which allows Angela to wrap her arm around her daughter's shoulders. Gar and Rachel share an awkward look, deciding to place the plates on the table as the two women share their time. Angela soon notices the two teens behind her, mainly focusing on Gar. " You care about my daughter, young man. A lot. I have eyes, you know. " Ryan pretends to not be listening as Angela speaks, and just stares down at the table. " And you, " Angela says before turning the opposite way to see Ryan. Ryan's eyebrow raise and her eyes meet Angela's. " You're very strong. " 

" Uh, yeah, I guess I am. " Ryan responds, with a small nod. 

" Are you that-what's her name? That Wonder Women they talk about? " Angela asks, causing Ryan to chuckle. 

" Oh, no, no. I'm not. " She spoke. " I have met her, though. She's really cool. " 

" Are you-like-uh-a superhero? " Angela asks

" Sometimes." Ryan responds, giving a shrug.  Angela nods and goes back to enjoying the sunset with her daughter. Gar rushes over to Ryan, his eyes widened. 

" You've met Wonder Women? " He asks, excitement in his voice. 

" Yeah, I've met all of the Justice League members. " Ryan responds, simply. " Multiple times. " A gasp leaves Gar's mouth. 

" All of them? " 

" Gar, Shh. "

      " I CAN'T TELL YOU WHAT PASSED for pancakes in that place but, " Angela was saying, a smile on her face, " They didn't resemble this. My compliments to the chef. " Rachel smiles at her words, and the two share a loving look. 

" Well, it was, really mostly him. " Rachel says, motioning over to Dick, which causes him to send a small smile. Ryan could tell Dick's brain was running a mile a minute. He was thinking, a lot, about something. She just didn't know what. 

" Look Rachel... " Dick said

" I was wondering- " Angela said as well.  

The two stop talking, not meaning to cut the other off.  " Please," Dick says, gesturing for Angela to continue. 

" Rachel has been explaining your situation to me. I understand this place is on a loan? " Angela asks. 

" Unofficially. " Dick states

" The owner didn't exactly give us permission to stay here, so we are basically squatters but that's what makes it fun. " Ryan says, eliciting a few chuckles from the group. 

" I may have another option. " Angela announces a smile growing on her face. " I have a house. In Ohio. It's been in my- " She pauses for a moment, looking over at Rachel. " Our family for decades. I was hoping you-we- all of you are welcome there for as long as you want. I have more than enough and, its the least I can do. " She pauses once again, and sends Rachel a smile, which she returns. " Although I do wonder what happens to your home when you've been locked away for five years. "

" Backed up taxes, " Kory replies, " Ton of unopened mail, I imagine. What did you have in your   fridge? " The woman asks, looking up at Angela. Ryan can't help but give a chuckle at the look on the women's faces.  

" This could be like, our secret base. " Gar pipes up. " Oh, this is so cool, isn't it? " He says, turning to look at Ryan. His face was lit up with excitement as he spoke. She didn't understand how he was able to be so happy, and peppy after what happened. Even though she didn't understand it, she deeply appreciated it. He was just so warm, and Ryan could't help but be drawn to him. Like a moth to a flame. 

" Yeah it is. " Ryan said, giving him a smile. " It is cool. "