Chapter 30

Nicolette

Nicolette

|

After Seb leaves me, I walk over to the window and watch everyone go about their lives. I cross my arms over my chest and then I hear my stomach grumble. Signalling how hungry I am-

I really want to eat, but I don't have the energy for it. I shake my head, ignoring the hunger, and head back into bed. Before I can cover myself, I hear a knock on the door.

"Hello, my love." I look at the door and it's Sam. "How are you feeling?" He walks in with a tray of food and places it on the bed. "I brought you some food if you're hungry."

"I am," I whisper, looking at the assortment of food on the tray. There is a single lavender flower laying next to the food, making me smile.

"I'm not the best cook, but I know my way around the kitchen." Sam smiles, and I take a step toward the bed. "My mom was a fantastic cook. She was a stay-at-home mom, especially after having my sisters. Cesarean, twins." Sam shook his head and sat at the edge of the bed.

Waiting on me...

Seeing if I am going to sit down or not...

"One big happy family." Sam smiles, looking down at the scar on his ring finger.

"How did you get the scar?" I ask, sitting on the bed, staring at the tray of food. It looks so good, and my stomach hurts just looking at it.

"Medical school. I got too cocky with the scalpel. Went right through my damn finger. Bastiàn is the one who had to suture it back together." I inch closer to the food, reaching for it. But when he looks at my bandaged hand, I stop.

Immediately he looks away, staring back down at his hand. "I thought I could not finish school, I fucked my finger up. But Bastiàn and those damn surgeon fingers. Ever since medical school- Could suture anything together and it would work again. Like a magicien." (Wizard)

I pick up the bowl of whatever the hell it is, and examine it...

"It's just noodles, mon amour. Since you have eaten nothing in almost three days. You need to start by eating bland foods." Sam finally looks at me, then at the tray. "So we have noodles, crackers, toast, potatoes, rice, and some miso soup. Oh, and some fruit."

I put the bowl down, and push the tray away. He sighs and picks up the lavender flower. Twirling it.

"What must I do to get you to eat, mon amour?" Sam asks, placing the flower back down on the tray and looking up at me.

"I'm leaving with Casey-" I say, and he nods his head. "You can't convince me to stay either- I'm leaving and"

"I know. I was just hoping you'd eat before you left. But, I guess not." Sam shrugs his shoulders and I felt my heart ache at his response...