31

AFTER CLASS, I went into the library to waste some time until my next period, which was till after lunch. I placed my backpack onto the floor next to where I sat and leaned back, before closing my eyes.
The veins in my head were pounding vigorously and I had an uneasy feeling inside of my stomach. The thought of leaving for college was suddenly not such a great feeling anymore, since I would have to leave Ava behind.
I could have visited her on the weekends, but being away from her on weekdays was far too much to handle. Our new found love made me unable to be away from her for more than a few hours and at that moment, I was already missing her terribly.
My mind pondered on how I was going to make our relationship work. I had no problems with attending community college, but that seemed impossible given my mother's expectations and Ava's persistence that I shouldn't give up anything for her.
If I was to attend Princeton, I would be a little distance away in New Jersey, but that wasn't too far and was manageable. I didn't want to attend Yale, given the circumstance that it was the college that my father attended, and Harvard was still yet to respond. The chime of my ringtone interrupted my thoughts, and I grabbed my phone from my back pocket, before immediately answering, "hey, mom."
"Hi baby, sorry about earlier, but I have great news."
"If this is about me being your maid of honour, I will repeat this in case it slipped your mind, I'm not wearing anything with lace frills."
"Oh yes, baby, you have to wear the dress of my choice," she chuckled, making me frown.
"Mom..." I groaned and rubbed my temples.
"I'm pulling your strings, baby, it actually has to do with Oxford."
"Oh, they sent a reply?" I inhaled deeply.
"You got in," she answered nonchalantly, making me press my lips together.
"Really?" I mumbled, not too sure how to react to the news.
"Yes, but not on a scholarship like you wanted."
"Oh..." That didn't bother me as much as I thought it would have.
"I'm willing to pay your tuition, baby, but I still don't think you should go," her tone of voice was sad, making a tinge of guilt rise in the pit of my stomach. I knew that she had a problem with me moving so far away.
"I..."
"I know you must be thinking about Ava and I agree with your doubts, you shouldn't go."
"Mom..."
"I just don't think you should go so far away, you might go and never come back," her voice broke, making me groan and close my eyes.
"Mom, if I do go, it won't be forever."
"I don't know, Kylie, just think about your options, before making a big step, you do have a girlfriend now too," I sighed and tapped my fingers against the hardwood of the desk in front of me.
"I know, but she is adamant about me not giving up my future for her."
"She's good for you, I just don't want you to lose something special just for a chance at an experience on another continent."
"Yeah, you mean you don't want me to go far away from you."
"Maybe," she mumbled, then covered it with a small laugh, "but seriously, baby, sleep on it and explore your options."
"Okay, mom, but I'm not going to. I could never put you in such a great expense."
"You're my only child, and your happiness means the world to me. I don't want you to go, but if you do want to, you have my support," I pressed my lips together and nodded, not that she could see, "anyway, I have to go, my ten minute lunch break is almost over and the boss is busting my ass on this case."
"Yeah, I bet he is."
"Oh shut up," she chuckled, "talk sometime soon?"
"Yeah, bye."
"Bye."
* * *
I WAS WALKING toward my next class when I realized that I still had about twenty minutes to spare, so I took a detour to the principal's office.
I rapped on the door and waited for his response to head in, "come in."
"Sir..." I opened the door and walked in, before closing it behind me.
"Kylie, it's a pleasure. You were just on my mind," I nodded and took a seat, "I spoke with the Board and you'll be all set by the beginning of the year."
"Aren't there any formalities I need to partake in?" He shook his head.
"It's a small town, I'm already convinced that you can handle this, and the technicalities, well, I rather handle that on my own," I pressed my lips together and nodded again, "it's a shame that you won't be eligible for Valedictorian though, since you just started here and you're graduating early as well, but in your mind know that you earned that title," I smiled and took a deep breath.
"That doesn't really matter to me. It's our experiences that define who we are, not a piece of paper that states what we can do."
"I see, so which college are you going to attend? Harvard? Yale? Dartmouth?" I shook my head and sighed.
"I just got accepted into Oxford, but I might go for something more affordable," I knew that wasn't the only reason why I was hesitant.
"Live your dreams, Kylie, you can do great things," I smiled and stood, "do what's best for you," I bit down on my bottom lip, "okay then, make the best of the little time you have left here and also, Emily will not be a problem anymore."
"Emily?" I pondered for a few seconds, before realizing who he was talking about.
"Yes, she's been suspended until Tuesday, and has been given a warning," I furrowed my brows, wondering why he thought that would end the way she treated people, but thought it useless to voice my opinion.
"Okay, I have to get to class."