25

s Ava escorted Emily to the principal's office, I deeply sighed and bent to pick my stuff off of the floor. All of the students had dispersed, since the bell had rung, indicating the beginning of another class, making me the only one left in the hallway, "let me help you with that," I looked up to see Emily's brother bending down, making me scramble my books and pens.
He sighed and straightened his posture, before stuffing his hands into his pockets, "what do you want?" I grumbled, my anger increasing rapidly.
"Um... uhh..." he stumbled and inhaled deeply, as he looked down at the floor.
"This is getting really annoying," I picked up my dirty satchel and shoved my things inside.
"Huh?" He looked at me frazzled.
"Why aren't you in class, huh?" I slipped my bag onto my shoulder and crossed my arms over my chest.
"I..." I raised my hand, stopping him from continuing.
"Don't answer that," I sighed and pressed my lips together, "just leave me alone," I attempted to walk away. He grabbed me by my arm, making me shove him, "what's your problem?" I spat, making him flinch. He took a few steps back and swallowed.
I was about to leave before he spoke, "I'm gay," I took a deep breath and looked at him for a moment, "I just thought it would be nice to have a friend who's just like me," he placed the palms of his hands over his face.
"I figured," I mumbled, gripping the strap of my satchel, "does anyone else know?" He dropped his hands from his face and shook his head.
"They don't," I sighed, before I checked the time on my wristwatch.
"I need to get to class," I informed, making him nod. He looked so sad and lost, causing me feel guilty for being so rude to him, "but you can find me in the library at lunch," I added, before walking away.
* * *
I MADE MY way to class, not in too much of a hurry, since I was a little upset about what happened with Emily. I wasn't in the mood to get in trouble with the principal, or could afford to do so, since I needed his approval for early graduation. But if I had no care in the world, which clearly she didn't, I wouldn't have made myself an easy target for her to step on.
I sighed, as I neared Ava's class, wondering if she was still in the principal's office with Emily or not. And if she wasn't, was Emily in class?
I knocked on the door and took a step back, as I waited. It took less than ten seconds for the sound of clicking heels against the hardwood flooring to be heard nearing the door. I pressed my lips together, as the doorknob turned and the door swung open.
Ava stood before me, a comforting smile formed on her sweet lips, making me want to feel her wrapped up in my arms, as she ran her fingers through my hair.
"Come in," she stepped out of the way and walked back to her desk. I entered the class and closed the door behind me, before heading to mine.
After taking my seat, I took out my textbook from my satchel, since I saw that there was an activity noted on the board to be done from it.
I found the page, before I grabbed my exercise book from my bag, including my pen, to start working on the exercise that was given.
I took a glance at Ava, before starting. She was sitting at her desk with her hands clasped, as she looked down at a book in front of her. I then looked toward Emily's desk and saw that she was not there. Relief washed over me, as I began to work the exercise, and after fifteen minutes, I completed the sixty questions from it and checked through everything in case of possible errors, before closing my books and letting out a deep breath.
"Miss Blanckaert, can you come here for a moment, please?" Ava called, making me lock eyes with her. She gave me a heart-warming smile, as I stood from my desk and walked over to hers.
"Emily has been suspended for a week," she informed in a low tone of voice, "and her friends have been for two days," she added, making me look around the classroom, only to realize that there were indeed three unoccupied seats, "I just wanted to let you know," I gave her a small smile.
"You need me to help you with anything?" I asked, shifting my weight on one side.
"No, you should complete the exercise, it's going for twenty percent of your grade."
"I'm done though," I pressed my lips together, as she looked at me perplexed.
"You manage to surprise me everyday, Kylie," she shook her head and chuckled, "bring your book so that I can see what you've done," I walked over to my desk to grab my exercise book and headed back to her. She took out an answer sheet from a drawer and placed it on top of her desk next to my opened book. After taking a few minutes to make sure that the answers matched those on the answer sheet, she looked up at me and grinned, "why are you in this class again?" She closed my book and placed the answer sheet back into the drawer.
I smiled and tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, "I'll go back to my seat," I turned and walked back to my desk. I sat and looked at Ava, only to see her looking straight back at me.
A light shade of pink spread across my cheeks, as she continued to stare intently at me. To save both of us the potential complication of being caught by someone, I crossed my arms and nuzzled my head against my forearm, before closing my eyes.