1

I looked around as the other students made their way inside of the classroom and took seats, unsubtly eyeing me since I was the new girl. I sighed tapping my led pencil against my textbook, as I waited for the teacher to arrive. It was the second period of the day, but I didn't have a class for the first period, so I came later than most.
I heard whispers and unwanted chatter around me, knowing that their topic of choice was none other than myself. They knew that I wasn't from around there, but their parents knew my mother, who had moved away a long time ago. I was, of the same nature, like everyone else in that little town, though they judged me by my appearance.
The teacher then entered the class, her glasses hiding her eyes and most of her facial features. She didn't look at me like the rest of them did, which I was pleased with.
I didn't know what was so different about me compared to the rest of them, just because I seemed different, I was considered an outsider. I was never the cheerful or enthusiastic type. My attitude made them know I was unlike them. It was not something I did on purpose—to portray myself at a higher standard, but that was just how I was.
"Good morning class," she greeted and rested her handbag on top of her desk, along with some folders, "I'm Miss Reese, I know we don't do this, since most of you already know each other, but there is a new student, so please introduce yourselves."
She smiled and scanned the classroom of students before her eyes landed on me. I groaned, not in the mood to receive unwanted attention. I stared down at my textbook as someone spoke.
"I'm Jeremiah Hennessy. I'm the Captain of the Math Club." I lifted my eyes only to see him with his arms crossed over his chest as he stared right back at me.
"Shut up Jerry, who cares about you?" The boy next to me spat. Jerry looked dumbfounded and his confidence immediately disappeared.
"Detention after school. Cole, you know that I don't tolerate that kind of behavior in my class."
The boy groaned and crossed his arms over his chest. The introductions continued, making my mind get more and more lost in thought. When I felt a tap on my shoulder, I almost poked the teacher with my pencil as a reflex, luckily I came to my senses just in time.
"You seem disinterested," she frowned standing over me. I looked down at my desk and rolled my eyes, "so aren't you going to introduce yourself?"
She asked as she walked away from me. I lifted my eyes from the desk to see that she walked back to the front of the class.
"Kylie Blanckaert," I said looking at her straight in the eye as she turned to face me.
"Say something that defines who you are."
"Lesbian," I said nonchalantly, making her bite down on her bottom lip. She flashed me a smile, her pink lips trying to cover up her discomfort.
"Moving on..." she trailed off as another student stood and introduced herself. The class was a bit tense after that, and I received even weirder looks than before.
I looked down at my textbook and opened it, effortlessly using my pencil to draw an abstract object. I was quite artistic but I had no energy to be at that moment.
Soon the class was over. I had zoned out for most of it since it was only introductions, and as I placed my stuff inside of my satchel, a yawn escaped my lips. I had nothing else to do for the rest of the day, since Literature was the only subject that I had for the rest of my senior year, which was the class I was currently walking out of.
I excelled in my other subjects, but Literature was my only downfall. Being the smart person that I was, I completed my other subjects in Junior year, some being finished even in my Sophomore year of high school.
As I stretched my back muscles and was about to exit the class, I felt that same tap on the shoulder. I turned already knowing who it was and crossed my arms over my chest. She just looked at me, which made me arch my brow. What does she want?
"Can we talk for a moment?" She asked as she looked away from me and took her seat behind her desk. I nodded as she gestured for me to use the desk directly opposite to hers. I did as expected, with a heavy mind and a questioning glare.
"So what would you like to talk about?" I asked disinterested, all I wanted to do was plop down on my bed and get some shut-eye before I went for a needed run later that day.
"The principal told me about you..."
She said making me cut her off.
"It's obvious that this town hasn't seen a new face in a long time," I said as I allowed my satchel to slip off of my shoulder blade and fall onto the floor.
"Yes, I've seen you around, since the town is so small."
"Expected someone more exciting I see," I mumbled knowing that everyone knew about me—who I was, where I lived, nothing too personal, but the basics.
"Not at all, but anyway, let us get back to what I wanted to talk to you about."
"Then go ahead," I encouraged as I unbuttoned my jacket and took it off. The humidity became too unbearable in the classroom. I stuffed it into my satchel, before looking back up at her.
"I know that you only have my class to complete for your senior year, which I must commend you about, since I heard you are an excellent student. Anyway, the Principal thought it was a good idea if you could help out with Math tutoring, knowing of your success in that subject."
I furrowed my brows, wondering why on earth I would accept such an offer. I would just be wasting my time and energy on stupid teenagers who couldn't even count from one to ten.
"No," I said bluntly as I picked up my satchel from the ground.
"It's either that or you become my teacher's assistant."
She said clasping her hands in front of her.
"So you're saying that I have to choose one?" I doubted that it was compulsory when attending a school. I couldn't be forced to do something against my will.
"Or you can do both," she added, making my head begin to spin. I struggled with excessive classes so that I could complete them early and be able to relax in my senior year. Is she really trying to give me responsibilities that I want no part of?
"Are you serious right now?" I scoffed, not caring that she was my teacher, "I plan on sleeping through most of this year and you're telling me about tutoring and being your assistant? I'm not obligated to accept your offers at all."
I finished as I got up from my seat and slung my satchel over my shoulder.
"Don't you want to get into an Ivy League College?" She asked as I was about to walk out of the classroom for the second time. She caught my interest, making me stop in my tracks, "you haven't volunteered for anything or done community service, though your grades are outstanding, if you volunteer for both options, you will absolutely increase your chances of being accepted into the school of your choice."
I contemplated what she said and knew that she was right. My anti-social skills had made me neglect such things. I turned back to face her. She had a grin plastered on her face, knowing that she sparked my interest.
"Do I have to do both?" I groaned. If I did consider the idea, I didn't want to do both.
"It's your choice, it's for your own benefit, not mine." Yeah, right.
"You won't benefit from me being your pet?" I mumbled knowing that she heard me coherently.
"Well, it will be a win-win," she unclasped her hands, got up from sitting and walked past me, which made me turn to the door. A student entered the class making me immediately want to leave. I didn't see any other students in tow and realized that the girl probably wanted to discuss something personal with the teacher, "think about it and get back to me later. I mean I will be seeing you almost every day since you are registered for both my junior and senior Literature classes."
I sighed heavily before exiting the class, almost bumping into a girl who was passing by at the same time. She gave me an awkward look, before I turned my face to ignore her and walked toward my locker.
"You're the new girl, right?" I grabbed the pack of gum that I'd placed in my locker earlier and looked at the person who spoke.
"Obviously," I gave a fake smile before taking one of the gums out of the packet and unwrapping it. Placing it in my mouth, I chewed a few times before forming a bubble. It popped, and I continued to chew.
"You're Grandpa Donald's granddaughter, right?" I closed my locker and stuck the pack of gum inside the pocket of my jeans.
"Obviously," I repeated before walking away from him. I had no time for silly and unnecessary small talk. I walked down the corridors and out the school through the entrance. The compound was isolated, except for the few cars in the parking lot directly in front of the school. I wasn't one to drive, especially with my fright of getting into a car accident, plus being in such a small town, the walking distances to almost anywhere were very short. It was about a seven-minute walk to my grandfather's estate. I found out when I walked to school earlier that day.
As I passed the small shops and boutiques, people kept giving me funny looks that were getting very irritating. I knew it was because they knew my grandfather and was wondering which part of the galaxy I came from, since I was so unlike him. My grandpa was born and raised in that town, everyone knew him and many envied him. He was an easy going man with a kind heart and humorous ways. After grandma died, he'd gotten very lonely, making my mother suggest for me to move in with him to keep his frail heart a bit alive. She should have known better since I wasn't a joyous person at all, but I think she had other intentions with me moving in with him, something to do with livening me up a little.
I accepted wanting a change of scenery and to give her space. I wasn't too fond of her boyfriend. They had been together for a long time and were going to get married in the near future, since he proposed to her about two years prior, but they never got around to actually tying the knot. He was a great guy, but my daddy issues made it difficult for me to accept him.
She always tried to brighten my spirit, but I was just the way I was. Grandpa more accepted my decision to be by myself. We would be in the same room and not talk at all, and that was what I always liked about him. He knew that I was uncomfortable with certain things and never overstepped my boundaries.
I only moved in with him three days prior. I had never visited him before but he occasionally visited us in the city. His love for the town never allowed him to migrate elsewhere, which made me believe that it was actually a nice place to live in.
I reached the gate of the estate and the guard allowed me in. He gave me a small smile and tilted his cap as I walked through the opened gates.
Walking up the stone pathway, I admired the front yard and its tree sculptures. The gardener neatly trimmed them the day before and the housekeeper watered them along with the patches of beautiful flowers every day. My grandfather intended to keep my grandmother's cherished possessions cared for.
I stuffed my hand into a pocket of my satchel and grabbed the house key, then opened the front door, walked in and closed the door behind me, before heading straight up the stairs and into my bedroom. I was in dire need of a nap.

Author's note
Copy and paste is a b*tch so there's no spacing between paragraphs. Sorry for the inconvenience.