Chapter 23

Before heading to Nate's ,I decided to stop at home and change out of my spider girl costume into some regular clothes . I threw my hair up into a messy bun and slid on my crocs before heading out.

"Where ya headed ?" My mom ask just as I'm about to step foot outside the door.

"Um I have a steady session with a someone."

She raises an eyebrow and before she could ask anymore questions, I jolt out the door. As I hop in my car and start it up, I take a deep breath in and let it out slowly. I didn't want my anxiety to get the best of me. A few minutes later I arrive at Nate's place. I ring the door bell and Marsh opens up the door while giving me a firm hug. Leading me into the kitchen, she begins asking all sorts of questions, questions I truly didn't want to answer.

"How have you been sweetie? How's spirit week going? I heard you were dressed as spider girl, so cute."

Why was Nate still talking about me to his mother? She must not know we aren't even together.
I give Marsh a fake smile. I didn't want to be rude to her but knowing she birthed such an evil person like Nate , I couldn't help it. Thankfully Nate comes down in a white tank top, expelling all of his muscles  and gray sweat pants that exposed his print. I tried my best not to stare but damn he always looked good.

"Y/N?"

I quickly snap out of it as Marsh ask if I wanted any refreshments.

"No ma'am I'm fine, thanks."

Nate takes a seat at the dinning table right across from me and doesn't even look my way.

"So how's it going between you two love birds? Hey I know this place down town that would make the perfect date for the two of you."

"Um we aren't together Mrs. Jacobs." I reply which causes Nate's eyes to shoot right up in my direction.

"Oh, I'm sorry. You know what I'm just gonna stop talking now, I'll be in my bedroom if you kids need me."

Marsh heads up stairs and as soon as the coast was clear that gave Nate the room to blurt out,"why were you so eager to tell her we aren't together anymore?"

"Cause we aren't Nate . Look I'm not here to talk about this, I'm here to get this assignment done so I don't have to be around you anymore."

Nate doesn't say anything, he just sucks his teeth. He tosses his phone onto the kitchen counter face down which I peeped. If we were together, that would trigger me. But we aren't. It didn't make it any better that every five seconds his ringer was going off from a text message.

A couple of hours went by of basically me doing all the work and trying to keep Nate in the loop with what I was doing. He was totally clueless. He would get up a few times to answer his phone in the other room, he'd talk low so I wouldn't engage in his conversation. But I could definitely tell it was a female on the other line .

A few seconds later he comes back in rubbing the back of his head and lets out a fake yawn.

" alright I think it's time to pack it up for the night, it's getting late. And I'm sure you wanna get home and plan your next outfit for tomorrow."

He was right, I did want to get home and plan for tomorrow's theme which was tacky Tuesday. As much as I wanted this assignment to be done in one night so I wouldn't have to work with Nate any longer , I knew it was impossible. Especially because I'm the only one putting in the hard work.

"True." I reply as I begin packing my things.

"Tomorrow same time?" He says back to me as his ringer goes off yet again.

"Yeah, and tomorrow no phones, we need to stay focused , and by we I mean you."

"Yeah yeah yeah."

As I head out the door Nate follows behind me leading me out.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah?" I reply turning to face him.

Something was up with him but I couldn't tell what it was. Maybe he was regretting ending things with me.

"You left your pencil ." He says holding it up to me.

I snatch it from him and leave without saying anything else . He closes the door behind me as I hop into my car. The street lights were on so it was basically my bed time.

Once I get home I see a car in the drive way that I had recognized once before . It was my mom's little boo thang over probably serenading her. Lately they've been spending a lot of time together, doing things the average couple would do. I admit I was jealous because I too wanted to be loved. I loved love, I question why couldn't it be that easy with Nate but he just wasn't the one for me.

Opening the front door, i greet the nice man and my mom at the dinner table.

"Come on join us hun, I made your favorite."

I nod my head and take a seat with the two love birds as we chat it up for about an hour. Later that night I crawled into bed and just laid there staring up at the ceiling . I didn't even feel like preparing for tacky Tuesday because I mean how hard could it be to be tacky? As I slowly drifted off to sleep my ringer went off on my phone. Picking it up from my night stand,  I unlock my phone and see a message from Nate.

It was nice spending time with you...
💔Nate 11:12 PM

I replied to his message with a thumps up emoji, considering he's lucky I even bothered to respond. I turn over, setting my phone down on my bed side table , and after doing a little bit of over thinking , I drift off to sleep.

"I love you Y/N. But there's something I've been needing to tell you."

"What is it?"

"I'm in love with —."

I wake myself up from my nightmare immediately trying to catch my breath. I pick my phone up to see the time. 4:07 AM. Tossing it back to my side I cover my head underneath my blanket . Was my dream trying to tell me something ? I didn't sleep for the rest of the night .

____________________________________

Oop👁👄👁