CHAPTER 27

"The h/c-haired one."

"There's no point in trying to get her to speak, sir," Dagur told Rieker. "I held her captive for over a month and not even once did she say anything."

You stared at them stubbornly, Rieker staring right back. "Sure. But she's more similar to us than you could guess."

"What are you talking about?" Dagur asked, his eyes squinting.

"Can't you see?" Rieker chuckled. "She has no ounce of berkian blood inside her. Try looking closer."

Heather did take a step closer and so did Dagur. They stared at you with narrowed eyes.

"Nah, I don't see anything," Dagur gave up, stepping back again.

"Who are your parents, girl?" Rieker asked.

"They're both dead," you spat, not really in the mood.

"I'm sure they left something behind, right?" Rieker asked.

"They did not," you growled. Where was he going with this?

"Alright," he shrugged. "Get her up on the deck with us."

***

You ignored everyone, racking your brain. There had to be something, right? Something that... Something... Suddenly, you remembered a conversation you had with Hiccup. About the day you met him. You remembered your parents arguing. That was your oldest memory.

Something in you needed to know what was before that.