Chapter 24: Clever or Childish

Chapter 24

Clever or Childish

~West

The door flew open. I sprung upright. Lette practically jumped into my lap, and we both stared at Boss.

He did a quick scan of us. “We’re leaving. Get ready now.”

I nodded. “‘kay.”

Boss slammed the door. Lette and I sat very still for a moment, before inching out of bed and hurrying into the bathroom. I shifted back to human and searched for something to wear. Lette was sitting on the counter ringing his tail in his hands.

“It’s bad, isn’t it, West?”

I shrugged and yanked a shirt over my head. “Don’t know.” After fitting my arms through the holes, I pulled it the rest of the way down. “Do you want me to find you something, or are you going to stay like that?”

Lette shrugged. “I don’t know what Boss wants.”

“Just stay like that then, until he says something.” I pulled on some pants and grabbed my shoes.

We went out to the living room where Keith and Boss were talking in the kitchen. I sat down on one of the stools and put on my shoes. Lette stayed close by my side. I glanced at Aden who was curled up on the far end of the couch. The front door opened, and Adam walked in carrying a duffle bag.

Boss took it and slid it across the counter. “Look through there and put something on.”

Lette nodded and took the bag.

“You too,” order the alpha, glancing at Aden.

Place it on the ground, Lette unzipped it and carefully pulled out the contents. Aden crept over, and they each quickly assembled an outfit. Lette shifted and put on his clothes. Once Aden was dressed, he backed up against the wall behind me. Lette fixed his shirt and put everything they hadn’t used away.

He stood, and I reached over and tugged on the tag under his chin.

“It’s on backwards.”

Frowning, he took his arms out and switched it around.

I laughed. “That’s what happens when you don’t wear clothes for awhile.”

Adam checked his phone. “Car is waiting downstairs.”

Boss nodded. “Lets go.”

Lette picked up the bag and hurried to the alpha’s side. Boss took it from him and tossed it to Adam.

I went to Keith and grabbed his hand. “Where are we going?”

“A safe house. We don’t know how much information Midfield was able to collect before the systems were wiped.” He put his arm around my shoulder and kissed my cheek. “Don’t worry though. This is just a precaution.” Looking behind us, he nodded to Aden. “Come on. I’m sure you don’t what my dad forcing you.”

The sub sighed and walked passed us with his head down. We followed them into the hall and to the elevator. We filed inside, and Adam pressed the button for the second floor.

“Boss?” whispered Lette.

The alpha shook his head. The sub sucked in his lips and bowed his head. He leaned into the dominant’s side, and I smiled when I saw Boss put his arm around Lette’s waist. Progress, well I hope it was progress.

We hurried through the office to the parking garage elevator. We went down to the first level. Three black vans with the pack’s symbol were waiting for us when the doors parted.

Lette cried out as he walked across the pavement. I went to help, but Keith pulled me back. Boss scooped up the boy, never breaking stride and carried him into the van.

“Careful where you step Aden,” said Keith.

The sub nodded and stood up on his toes. He quickly climbed into the van and sat in one of the front seats. I slipped into the back beside Lette, while Keith sat in front of me. The door was rolled shut. Adam took the passenger seat and signaled for the driver to go.

“What happened?” I asked.

Blood was dripping from Lette’s foot.

“I stepped on glass.”

“You should have asked for shoes,” I replied.

He pouted at me and looked at the bottom of his foot. The shard was still stuck in his skin. His hand shook as he went to remove it. “It hurts. I don’t want to touch it.”

Boss sighed and put his arm around Lette to get a better angle. “Hold still.” Claws formed on the end of his finger.

Lette whimpered, but remained completely still as Boss removed the glass. The wound pulled together soon after.

“Adam,” stated Boss.

The secretary looked around the car before finding some tissues. He handed them back to Lette. The sub cleaned up his foot and peered up at Boss.

“Thank you.”

The alpha kept his eyes pointed out the window. His arm was still around Lette though. I really just want the stubborn man to put aside his pride and just take Lette as a mate. Aden could then go home, and we would be done with this.

But from what I’ve learned from egotistical dominants, things were never that simple.

***

~Ranger

Shiloh was visible shaking when we stood in the loading docks of the factory where this pack had done their business.

“You can wait in the car if you want.”

The sub shook his head. “No.”

“Are you scared?” I teased.

Shiloh didn’t say anything and buried his face in my chest. I put my arm around him and we followed the group into the factory. He stayed glued to my side as we walked with Daven to where the offices were located. Werewolves from the technology unit were already stationed on all the computers that hadn’t been destroyed during or before the raid.

“What did you find out?” asked Daven, still working on his third breakfast burrito.

How this man turned out to be alpha, I would never understand. He never seemed to take his work very serious.

“They wiped the server, but we’re still trying to see if we can get anything off them.”

“We did find this.” Another man stepped forward and handed a folder to Daven.

“Wolfbane,” read Daven. “Never heard of them.” He handed it to me.

I ran my finger over the purple flower and the full moon. The pack name was scrolled along the edges.

“Clever,” I muttered. “Or childish.”

Shiloh stood up on his toes to get a look at it. “I know this. I’ve seen it before.”

Daven peered down at my mate. “When?”

“When the men came to take West. It was on the car door.”

The future alpha laughed. “So they mark their cars. Interesting.” He finished off his burrito and balled up the paper. “Out of confidence or stupid,” he tossed the wrap on one of the broken desk, “we’ll just have to find out.”