Chapter 6: Replacement

Chapter 6

Replacement

~Shiloh

I collapsing in the snow, struggling to breath. Curling into a ball, I tried to block the freezing wind. I was so tired.

My ear twitched to the side.

The voices were distant but closing.

I stumbled onto four legs and ran off into the storm, hopefully toward Ranger.

~West

Keith opened the car door. I slipped past him. The door on the other side open, and Adam climbed into the vehicle. I sat still in the center with the two men on either side.

“Put your seatbelt on,” said Keith, taking out his phone.

I grabbed the strap and yanked it over. Adam’s suit jacket was over the buckle. I just stared at it. He already didn’t like me, so did I dare touch his things.

Keith grabbed the buckle. “Move your coat.”

Adam do so without looking away from his tablet. Keith did up my seatbelt, before settling back. The two tapped away on their electronics, sending messages and looking at strange charts. Civil packs were so strange. Even after spending years at the factory this still felt awkward.

The car started to move. I kept my eyes forward. Keith reached over and pressed his hand to my knee. I hadn’t realize before I was bouncing it.

“Sorry,” I breathed.

He gave my leg a squeeze before withdrawing his hand.

Adam sighed. “Boss wants to see him.”

Keith rapped his knuckles against the window. “See if tomorrow works.”

“Today. He has meetings tomorrow and doesn’t want to be bothered.”

I glanced over at Adam’s screen. Messages kept coming in, but my lack of literacy was showing.

Keith’s hand shot out and grabbed my chin. “That’s one thing you should never do. Werewolves have been killed for less.”

Staring into his dark brown eyes, I nodded. “Sorry. I-I didn’t understand anything.”

He raised an eyebrow and dropped his hand. “You’re traditional, I thought they?”

“Yes, but my pack, we didn’t.” I wrung my hands together.

Adam started to chuckle.

“Shut up.” Keith reached over and hit the other man’s arm. “Leave him alone.”

The smaller dominant pinched the bridge of his nose as he tried to hold in his laughter. “You picked a great one. Out of all the possibilities, you get the middle rank, who can’t even read.” He glanced across the car. “At least he has a good bloodline.”

Clenching my jaw, I gripped my legs tightly. “No one ever taught me. I’m not stupid, I just never had the chance.”

“Excuses are useless, West,” stated Adam, plainly. “Learn that now.”

I hate him. He was a self absorbed jerk, and I was tempted to punch him even though he was stronger.

Keith’s arm went around my shoulders, and he pulled me over to him. I remained stiff against his side as he pressed his lips to my ear.