Chapter 18: Safe in His Arms

Chapter 18

Safe in His Arms

~Ranger

I waited outside Trevor’s office for his current meeting to get over. My anxiety was getting the best of me as I bounced my leg and fiddled with the wristband. He better give me permission. I do whatever it takes to discover what hidden secrets were embedded on this chip.

The doors opened, and the Midfield Academy school board left. Trevor led them out and waited at the door for me.

“Alright, Ranger, let me hear it.”

I quickly stood and marched toward the door.

“Ranger!” called a woman down the hall, waving her arm with a phone in her hand. “Ranger, you have a phone call.

Trevor shrugged. “I only have a few minutes, Ranger. I have to meet with the teachers to discuss the new semester.”

“Take a message,” I replied, before entering the room.

With a sigh, Trevor went to one of the couched and sunk into it. He poured himself a drink for a bottle on the table beside him. “So what’s so important you needed to talk on my only break for the day?” He took a sip of his drink.

“This,” I held up the band. “I need your permission before the tech guys will go any further. There some kind of barrier on it.”

“How do I know it won’t send a virus through our systems? Hmmm… do you think of that?”

“Trevor,” I begged. “It could tell us who’s been taking the werewolves.”

“Ranger,” said the woman, marching over to me. “You need to take this.” She offered me the phone.

“Not now,” I shrugged her off. “Please Trevor.”

“Look, I’m sorry about Shiloh, but I’ve received the report, and I can’t see the advantage of taking the risk.”

“We could find them,” I hissed. “We could stop them for good.”

“Ranger, please,” she tugged on my arm. “It’s Shi-”

“I said take a message!” I snapped.

“Ranger,” said a soft voice.

I knew that voice. Slightly deeper, but it was still the same sweet voice I remember. I dropped to my knees and took the phone. “Shiloh.” I could hear him crying softly on the other end.

“Ranger, can you come get me?”

“Of course,” I breathed. “Tell me where you are, tell me and I’ll come get you right now.”

“Do you still love me?” he whispered. “I’m not too late?”

I smiled at his sweet words. “Shiloh, it’s not possible for me to stop loving you.”

***

~Shiloh

I handed the phone to Becca so she could tell them her address. Keeping my face turn, I wiped my eyes. It was good to hear his voice and to know I was still his only one. It made me so happy to know we could still be mates.

“Alright see you in a few hours.” Becca hanged up the phone.

I heard her moved around behind me, before her arms wrapped around my shoulders. I let out a shaky voice.