Chapter Twenty-Four

~♤Aces PoV♤~

I left earlier than I was going to but I just had to get out of there. I have no idea why those things give me so many confusing feelings. I love the feeling of it but I hate how I feel about it. That doesn't even make sense. How the hell can you want someone to keep doing something but still want them to not do it? Man this is so stupid. I admit it, running away probably wasn't the best thing to do but I definitely would have froze up and got myself trapped.

I may as well go over to Eli's place. Or I could stop by, get my shirt, then go to work early. Yeah right, no chance. I knocked on the door and was greeted by Brian.

"Oh hey Ace. It's been a while huh? What's up?"

"Hi Brian. I wanted to talk to Eli if he's here. If not, I can come back later." I realized I should've texted Eli first, but again I can come back later.

"Ah..." his smile fell slightly, "I'll fetch him." He invited me in and went to get Eli. He came out soon after but he looked rough. Bags under his eyes, hair messy. He looked like he had a late night.

"Ace..?"

"Hey Eli. You okay?"

"Hangover. Don't worry about it. What are you doing here?" He sat down and held his head in his hands.

"Oh, I'm here for my shirt. And talk if you don't have any plans. I have a bit until I have to go to work." Eli nodded and got my shirt then sat back down. Neither of us said anything for a while, just stared at each other.

"You still don't get it do you?" He finally said.

"What?"

"Mason. I've known him for a long time so I know him. And since you don't seem to realize, I'll let you in on some of the things I've learned about him. See, when Mason gets attached to something or someone he really gets attached. It's not a fleeting attraction or temporary thing. It just matters on the type. " Eli explained. "He was attracted to me. Yes, we went out, but he was attracted to me... platonically. He wasn't comfortable dating me but still wanted to stay friends. It can be hard distinguishing which is which but seeing it from an outside perspective it can be pretty obvious."

I was lost in his words. I did not understand a single thing he was trying to get across. Listen, I'm really dumb and I don't have a big attention span you can't judge me for that. "What are you trying to say?" I questioned.

Eli sighed and gathered his thoughts. "Mason likes you. I know he does. Not in a caregiver way or whatever. I'm sure you can understand what I'm getting at?"

Not really. "Yeah I think so."

I kind of did understand though. Mason is attached to me. Like maybe when he first saw me, a pathetic kid in an alley, he felt a connection like when you see a stray puppy with an injured paw or something. You want to take care of it. Unless you're a cat person. Anyways I'm getting off track. Then Mason got to know me more and thought I was cool so he wanted to support me. Now that I think about it, this is really weird. Support isn't something I'm used to. But I guess in the time that I've known Mason, all he's done is support me. He's always been there. Man, now I feel like shit for not recognizing that. I should thank him more often.

"Good. So are you going to do something about it?" Eli asked. I nodded. Communication. Not one of my strong suits but I can work on that. Actually, Mason is probably confused as to why I left like that so when I get back I'll start there. I can think about how to do that later but I have a goal so I'm making progress!

"Well, I should probably get to work. Thanks Eli."

"No problem. Good luck Ace." I smiled. I think talking to Eli was a good thing. I'm really happy he let me see something I wasn't. I think me and Mason will be able to sort some things out and become closer. It's been a long time since I've felt like I wanted to be closer to someone. I'm glad I'm feeling that way again. And I'm glad it's with Mason.
♡~♡~♡~♡~♡