Chapter Twenty-Two

~♤Masons PoV♤~

Thankfully when we got back to the house Ace was already fast asleep and seemed like he was going to be for a while. I made myself some coffee and sat down at the table. It was late and I really shouldn't be having coffee, but I needed to process what all happened. It's rare that this happens to me, but I was really pissed off. Eli... I knew something was off about the way he was acting but to do this? I'm not sure I'll be able to forgive him. What he said... I'm not sure I can trust him either.

"What do you think you're doing?!" I shouted.

"Calm down Mason, I wasn't doing or going to do anything. Even if I was, why would it matter to you? You two aren't together." His response made me even more mad. Sure, me and Ace aren't together but that doesn't mean he can just- well, I guess I really don't have a say in that. But even so, it's not right.

"We're not together, but he's obviously intoxicated. For you to do anything would be inappropriate and wrong. As Ace's caretaker I'm responsible for his safety and if that means stopping him from seeing you then so be it." I've known Eli for years and though he could be out of line sometimes he fixes his behavior. He's never been like this before. I guess it isn't my place to control Ace like that, but if he's getting himself into dangerous situations I'll take responsibility.

He stared at me for a few seconds with a blank look on his face. He breathed a laugh and said, "I never intended to hurt you or Ace. I can assure you, I'm not dangerous. Anyways, it's late. Unless you would be okay with him staying over, which I doubt, you should take him. Oh, his shirt got wet so I put it in the dryer. You could wait until it's done drying if you'd like." He smiled.

"No thanks. He can get it from you another time." I scooped up the unconscious Ace and left.

The way he was acting was already odd. I'm probably making a bigger deal of this than I should. I guess I just panicked seeing Ace in that position.

"Ughh I feel like shit." I turned to see Ace walk in. He definitely looked like it. His hair was all over the place and there were dark bags under his eyes.

"Morning. Want some coffee?"

"Oh god yes." Ace sat on the couch and massaged his temples. I don't believe in karma and I don't like the idea of it but there was something funny about seeing Ace face the consequences of his actions, specifically bad ones.

"Do you remember anything? It seems amnesia is a side effect of you getting drunk. Which you should stop doing by the way." I handed him a mug.

"How else am I going to escape from this cruel reality we live in? That was rhetorical." He added when I opened my mouth. "I remember being at Eli's apartment I think. It's a blur. But that's what I was going for so can't blame anyone but me."

"Yeah. Apparently nothing much happened. Next time you plan on getting wasted, at least text me." I hoped Ace knew I was being serious. I want to work towards getting him out of those bad habits but I know it'll take some time. I sighed and patted his head.

"What are you doing?" Ace asked cautiously, but didn't move away.

"Giving you affection for no reason." I smiled. That and I felt bad for him. I thought he might need some reassurance even if he didn't know why he needed it.

"Ew." I laughed and ruffled his hair.

"So, are you ever going to tell me what you've been planning with Jack?" I sat on the back of the couch.

"Oh crap." His smile fell. "I almost forgot about that. It's fine, it's not too late to prep."

"So you're staying quiet about it, huh? Fine," I sighed dramatically. "If you're not telling me about said planning it must involve me right?"

Ace looked at me wearily. He didn't say anything for a second, then replied slowly, "I don't trust you and your deduction skills. I'm not sayin' anything." I loved times where I could easily read Ace and he would look at me like I was some spooky ghost. But I'll leave him be for now. Whatever they were planning seemed good enough to keep secret and I trust they wouldn't do anything too bad. And by that I mean I trust Jack to keep things under control, including Ace.

"Alright then. I look forward to it." I laughed. He smiled slightly. I wouldn't tell him but he should smile more often. Little Ace is a ball of happiness but Ace himself doesn't show it much.

~♤~

We're on our way to Jack and Elise's apartment now. Apparently Ace set up a playdate or something with Jack without telling me. It felt wrong that he didn't tell me, but I'm glad he took initiative. We took the elevator up to their floor but before we knocked Ace gasped.

"What?" I asked.

"I forgot something in the car. It's a white box around my seat, could you go get it? Great, thanks see you!" He pushed me back towards the elevator before I could answer then rang the doorbell. I sighed and got back down to the car. I looked all over but couldn't find it anywhere. I'll just go back up then I guess.

I got back to the door and Jack opened it right before I was going to ring the doorbell.

"Oh, Mason, hey! Come in." He let me in and closed the door. Everyone was acting weird today. I walked into their living room and practically got jumpscared.

"Happy Birthday!!" They yelled. It had honestly slipped my mind that today was my birthday. I never celebrated it much as a kid nor as an adult and I didn't have a problem with that.

"Wow, this is..." I couldn't think of what to say.

"You didn't forget did you? Man, we need to get you out of that." Jack patted my back. I laughed sheepishly.

"Alright, gifts!" Elise clapped.

"Ah no, that- that's too much!"

"Mason. Just accept it, we threw you a party and are giving you free shit. Cooperate, okay?" Ace deadpanned.

I frowned but nodded. "Language." I mumbled.

Jack and Elise got me some notebooks to start writing in like a sort of diary. I always wanted to write my thoughts and things that happened that day. We had cake (I tried to turn them down but it was no use) and chatted for a while on the balcony.

"Ooh man I just forgot I had to... get something." Jack said, "I'll be right back. El you should come with me!" He grabbed Elise and went back inside. Ace and I sat in silence, him looking over the railing. I got up and stood beside him.

"So this was what you were planning?"

He hummed. "Jack told me your birthday was coming up and I wanted to hang out with him anyways."

"Oh right, and about that white box-"

"That uh that was nothing. I lied obviously." He looked away. Of course that wasn't actually the situation.

"I know I saw it. You lied about forgetting it in the car but I know you had it. What is it?" I nudged him.

"It's just a dumb present okay? I don't want to give it to you now." He mumbled. I didn't say anything for a while, just looking out at the setting sun. "Ugh fine!" He shoved the box at me. I smiled and opened it. Inside was a pretty looking pen that was black with gold and silver accents.

"It's nothing interesting. I just saw it and thought you'd like something that boring." Even though he was insulting me it sounded more like an embarrassed explanation.

"Thank you Ace." I closed the box and kissed the top of his head.

"Agh get off of me!" Ace swatted at me. He was happy. He was definitely happy.

"Okay we're back!" Jack grinned.

"What perfect timing." Ace rolled his eyes.

"Oh man I'm so sorry we kept you so late Mason! You two should get back." Jack rushed us out of the door. "Okay great to see you talk to you later bye!"

"Well that was fun. Thanks for planning this for me." I patted Ace's head.

"Mm. Yeah. No problem."
~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~