Chapter Nine

~♤Aces PoV♤~

I'm honestly really happy I've kept this job. It's an easy job to keep, but still I've lost a lot of jobs for dumb reasons. It's been a little over a week and I've been able to make some good relationships here. I almost feel at home here.

As I was taking out the trash I bumped into someone. It was late and I wouldn't doubt if it was some drunk guy stumbling around.

"Oh, sorry." I mumbled before moving on to the dumpsters.

"Ace?" I looked up at the person I bumped into to see it was Mason. What a coincidence. His expression morphed from shock to guilt to something that looked like sympathy.

"Oh hey." I leaned the bag of trash against the wall. Mason opened and closed his mouth like he was trying to figure out what to say. I raised an eyebrow, hoping it would hurry him up.

"What are you doing here?" He nodded at the bag of trash.

"I work here. Eli helped me get the job. I just do cleaning work. It's easy, even for me." I sighed and continued lugging the bag to the dumpster. "I intend not to lose this job so I'm going to go now." I nodded at him and walked back to the entrance.

"Ace, wait!" I stopped and turned to him. "I-I'm sorry..." he said.

I stood there for a second. I smiled and said, "me too." I went into the bar and walked straight into the back room. It felt like a weight lifted off my shoulders.

~♡~♡~♡~

I was walking home from work and felt my phone vibrate. I pulled it out to see a text from none other than Mason. He gave me his number when I started crashing at his place but we never texted each other since I barely left the house and he mostly worked at home. He said that he was sorry again and that if I ever want to talk I can go to his house. Maybe I should talk to him.

I shook off that thought and went into the apartment. The second I closed the door Eli hugged me.

"Heyy Ace! It's sooo good to see you. I missed you." He slurred.

"Are you drunk?"

"Hmm my friend dragged me along to celebrate them getting a job and I had a little too much to drink." Eli laughed. I'd never seen Eli drunk, but I could tell he was a giggly drunk. I couldn't help but smile at his elevated mood.

"You should sleep it off Eli. I'm sure you're tired, I am too." I started to lead him to his bedroom, but he stopped me.

"You're so weird. It's like you hate everyone but you want to be friends with everyone too. He thought you hated him and I was the one who texted him asking to meet at the bar. So you're welcome. If he doesn't do anything I'll take ya." Eli hiccuped and slumped against me. A few seconds after I heard his snores.

I stood there trying to process what he said. He? Is he talking about Mason? There couldn't be anyone else. I bumped into him outside of the bar. It has to be him. Eli texted him? But why? I couldn't stop thinking as I carefully laid Eli on his bed.

I'm not going to text him. At least not tonight. I don't want to come off as desperate. Not that texting back right now would, especially since we're not dating or anything. I'll do it tomorrow.

I laid on the bed and thought about what I would even say. Maybe I'll ask to get coffee or something. Yeah, that's a good idea.
♡~♡~♡~♡~♡