Chapter Twenty-Three

~♤Masons PoV♤~

I got a call from Elise the day after the party. We talked for a while then she said something weird.

"Also, I'm sorry about Jack yesterday. Sometimes he can't mind his own business." She sighed.

"What do you mean?" I hadn't noticed anything odd about Jack's behavior other than when we first got there. And a little bit when he kicked us out. I didn't think much about it though.

"What Jack was doing last night. He has a habit of getting into his friends' love lives and playing matchmaker."

"Oh. That's what he was doing?"

She paused, "You... didn't notice?" I replied no. I don't know why it would matter. Me and Ace just had a normal nice time last night.

"Huh... okay then." She said it like it was some interesting discovery. She does know Jack more than me but maybe she was figuring something out about him.

"El now you're acting weird." I laughed. She joined in but said she had to go for work. Speaking of, I should probably be productive too while Ace is still sleeping. It's not that surprising that I don't get much done when he's around. I got out my laptop and tried to clear my mind, another thing that's been hard to do lately. In the past I've always had my little in the back of my head but with Ace I'm constantly thinking about his safety, happiness, and idea of me. I hate how he's made me so self-conscious. And I hate that I've realized it. But still, Ace is... well, Ace. He's a pain and a brat but deep down he's kind and passionate and strong and... oh god. Do I actually-

"Hey." Ace walked past me. I wasn't paying attention so I jumped in shock. He paused and shot me a weird look. "You good?"

"I'm fine." I sighed.

"Really? You look like you were scared shitless just from me saying hey." He snickered.

"I was just thinking and I didn't see you." I rolled my eyes. There was a few minutes of silence, it might not have been awkward for him but it definitely was for me. "Um. Hey, Ace?"

"Yeah?"

I thought about how to phrase the question I wanted to ask. It seemed so hard to put it into words. And on top of that no way sounded right. Just stiff or awkward. I need to get this out though or I won't be able to stop thinking about it. "This is just a random question and it doesn't matter how you respond I'm just curious and it's not too important so-"

"Mason!!" Ace yelled. It shocked me and I asked what. "Just ask the damn question." He said annoyed.

I sighed again and collected myself. "How... do you feel about me? I mean, I just want to know.. if you like me. Y'know?"

He stared at me for a while, looking into my eyes like he was trying to decode the weird question and get a solution. "Of course I like you. I wouldn't still be here if I didn't." I think most people would take a blank face as disingenuous, but I knew that meant he really meant what he said. And that made me overjoyed.

"Thank you Ace." I smiled.

"Oh by the way, I'm gonna stop by Eli's place before work." I choked on my coffee and coughed.

"Wh- for what?"

"To get my shirt...? I told you I liked that shirt and I'm not going to just leave it there. Isn't that rude?" He gave me a questioning glance. I guess he was right but I still hadn't made up my mind about Eli. No, it's fine. It'll be fine. Ace can take care of himself. And he's not out of it this time so it really should be okay.

"I guess so. Just be careful, okay? And work hard" I grinned, "my little spade. Like Ace of spades y'know?" My smile faded when I saw the odd look on his face. He seemed surprised, maybe even scared. His face looked red too. "Are you okay? It was just a joke nickname. I won't use it if you don't like it."

"I- I'll talk to you later!" He grabbed his bag and ran out of the house.

"Ace!?" I suppose I'll have to ask him about it later.

~♤~

I heard the door open and close, then Ace walked into the room. He sighed and set down his bag before laying on the couch. "Don't ask how it was, I'm too tired to answer." He mumbled.

"Okay then." I laughed, "did you get your shirt?" He showed a thumbs up. "Food?"

"Yes please."

I made us some grilled cheese and tomato soup. I still wanted to know about earlier though, so this probably won't be a relaxing talk with how Ace reacted the first time. But then again I didn't even understand what was wrong.

"You know Ace, I won't call you anything you don't want me to or treat you any way you don't like. All you have to do is tell me." I started.

"It's not that it's just... embarrassing." He fidgeted in his seat.

"Then I won't use that nickname if you're uncomfortable with it."

"No, no, I'm not uncomfortable! It makes me feel like I'm gonna.." He looked for the words for a second. "Slip? I guess? Like fuzzy in a way." Ace looked down. He definitely didn't look confident in his words.

"Oh! That's great! You could use that as a sort of trigger. If you can, and you'd like to, then I'll only use it if you'd like me to and if you're in little space. Does that sound alright?" Ace can be misled by past actions, I think, and so he thinks speaking his thoughts or bringing something up will result in backlash. It makes me proud but somewhat sad seeing him look so happy when I respond openly like that.

"Yeah. Thank you." He smiled softly.

"Of course, my little spade." I ruffled his hair.
~♡~♡~♡~♡~♡~