Twenty two

It was days after Christmas, even a new year when Peyton and Milo finally spent time together, they were sat in the park on the swings like usual. Lily was ovbiously with them because when is she ever not with Milo?

Peyton was slightly swinging but Milo sat still in his own swing, not wanting to choke Lily with the lead. They chatted for a while about how their Christmas' went, Peyton had told him every single gift he got and every single animal fact he could remember from his new book.

And Peyton being Peyton he remembered them all so they sat there for quite a while, Peyton chatting away excitedly and Milo listening patiently.

Though he didn't mind. He found it quite nice, it helped get his mind off of his dad and everything happening with his family. They've already started to pack, it's like they know he's going to die soon and they're just waiting. It all just feels wrong.

So, listening to Peyton happily ramble on about random animal facts that he's likely not going to remember later on is a good distraction.

"So yeah, those are only from the first half of the book. I can tell you the second half if you'd like but it seems to be getting colder and I don't want Lily to become ill." He points down to the shivering dog, Milo smiles down at her.

"Yeah you're right, don't want her freezing to death." He lightly chuckles when Peyton's hands start to shake, it's funny that he cares more about a dog's comfort than his own. He looks like he will turn to ice any minute now.

They sit in silence for a moment or two, knowing that they are going to part soon so wanting extra time together. Even if they don't say anything and just sit quietly with each other.

A boy walks past the two by the swings, Milo's eyes are trained on him and when he leaves in the distant Milo can't help his eyes to wonder to the boy's a-

"What are you doing?" He snaps out of it upon hearing Peyton's voice, he's turns to the boy next to him. "Sorry what?" Peyton gives him a suspicious look with squinted eyes, "I said what are you doing?"

Milo puts his hand against his chest, "me? What would I be doing?" Peyton knows he's joking around and it's quite clear that he knows he was doing something but he's just paying dumb.

"You were doing something."

"I was doing nothing."

"You were looking at someone."

"I was doing no such thing."

Peyton squints his eyes more and inspects his friend's face, he moves closer. "I know you were doing something" he moves his swing closer to Milo who's face is blank, hiding all evidence of doing something when he's making it out like he's doing nothing. Nothing at all...

They stay like that for a moment, not saying a word.

Until...

"Okay fine I was doing something" Peyton's face instantly brightens and he points a finger right in Milo's face, "I knew it!" He smiles proudly, he should be a detective. He then resumes his position on the swing normally and faces forward again. Just staring of into the distance like that whole encounter didn't just totally happen.

Milo glares at him for putting them both through that and not even bothering to ask what he was actually doing. If he was so curious about him doing something, why not ask what he was actually doing!

He moves his head around the swing and plants his face in front of Peyton's and clears his throat making a 'hmhm' sound.

Peyton's eyes move to bright blue ones but he doesn't question the sudden move. Which annoys Milo.