Twelve

The next day Peyton sits on the sofa in the living room wrapped in his baggy black hoodie, spongebob on the TV and a fidget toy in hand. It's a soft sponge ball that he likes to squish, his eyes are trained on the TV. Spongebob and Patrick catching jellyfish.

He loves spongebob.

He hasn't blinked for a while making them sore and water, but once he's focused on something nothing can distract him.

When he awoke early in the morning, Kai had already gone. He got a job finally, nothing too exciting. Just at a local fast food place down town.

When Peyton came back yesterday he planned to talk with him but he chickened out last second when Kai asked in a firm tone why he was out so late. He didn't bother replying, instead he ran to his room and curled up on his bed messaging Cole until an ungodly hour.

Atleast he is fine with Cole now.

He hears the front door open and close with a click but doesn't bother to turn around, still focused on his show. His hand is moving to squish the ball and he toes are wiggling because he's feeling fidgety.

"Hey penny" his eyes squint and he turns around to the voice, distracted because of the horrible nickname. His face is blank and expressionless when he looks to lizzie who's smile slightly drops.

"That's a no?" Peyton shakes his head slowly, "okay, I'll think of a different nickname!" She shovels of her coat to hang on the coat rack as Peyton only rolls his eyes, turning back around to watch his show.

He feels a dip in the couch besides him and resists sighing, he doesn't know why he's being mean to her. She hasn't done anything, she's actually quite cool. But she's stealing Kai away from him, they've been spending lots of time with each other lately. Going out together late at night, getting drunk and stoned.

And he's not even talking with Kai, so its irritating that she just plonked her tiny self inbetween the two brothers.

One second he is seeing Mr crab rant about money and the next is a black screen, he blinks and turns to the side of him where the remote is- or was.

He squints his eyes moving them upwards to Lizzie's hand, which holds the remote. He huffs and reaches out to grab it but lizzie holds it above her head so Peyton can't get it, he debated standing up to just get it because it would be quicker but he can't be bothered.

So he just stares at her.

As she stares back.

Slowly putting the remote by her side out of the boy's reach, " look, I'm getting the feel you hate me" oh really. "Which I don't know why because we've had lots of good talks. I've even helped you with the whole Cole thing" Peyton looks down to the ball in hand and squeezes tightly with his forehead scrunched.

"Peyton? Please talk to me. I'm your brother's girlfriend, I want you to like me" Peyton shakes his head slowly, "Peyton i thought we were friends now" he starts shaking his head more, his fingers turning white from how hard he squeezes the ball.

She notices his stress and furrows her brows, guilty that she made him feel cornered with all these questions. Her face is sad as she turns to the TV, turning spongebob back on.

Peyton stops shaking his head arubtly and exhales.

He feels Lizzie leave the sofa then the front room and he can't help but feel a little bad, he's always pushing people away and hurting them. It happened with his parents first, his brother, Cole and now Lizzie.

He slumps down into the corner of the sofa and leans his chin on his knees that are held up against his chest, keeping his eyes trained to the TV as he hears her shuffle around in the kitchen.